*NO* Xenosaga 'Nephilim'

Liontamer

All this talk, and only 1:21-long? - LT

OCID: 

email: 

Game: Xenosaga Episode 1

Song title: Nephilim

Comments:

The inspiration behind this song is .. memory, as cliche as that may sound. The theme of unrequited love is probably overplayed, but there you have it. I recorded probably 20 mediocre songs and remakes of songs in a very short amount of time in an effort to dedicate my favorite things to something that I refused to believe no longer existed.

Anyway I'd heard the song since before I even played the game, because the soundtrack was recommended to me. I must say first that Yasunori Mitsuda has a better sense of emotion in music than any other video game composer I've heard to date.

This has been one of my favorite songs, so this is really a very humble attempt I guess you'd say. There are doubtless many people who could've done much better in much less time. The original was very beautiful and ambient and it created this sort of rising tension that had my heart soaring.

I really wanted to recreate that, and do it on the guitar because I love the dynamics. The transition from guitar to piano wasn't strange except.. I don't have much of a musical background, but I have a very good ear, so picking out the song wasn't so hard. It's not so difficult to play, either.. The only difficult thing was trying to play both pieces within the same range and not have them clash. The little extra guitar harmony at the end was a very last minute thing and I didn't redo it for whatever reason. I should have, as there's one dissonance in it that kinda kills whatever positive effect the harmony may've had on my drab little version of this song.. I guess I did okay for what has been one of my first real recordings. I did my best to sort of slap some post-production onto it just before I submitted, so maybe that helps.

My machine has a very high latency and I couldn't judge all that well where I was..

So! Now that I've finished making excuses for all of my shortcomings, enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------

Xenosaga Episode I / Yasunori Mitsuda - 107 "Nephilim"

Too bad the hiss couldn't be cut down more, and that there's too much reverb muddying up the performance. The reverb would work better if you had a cleaner recording. Work on improving your recording quality, and learn more about post-production as well.

Both guitars are basically covering the original. Audible click/pop around :54-:55. And at 1:21...it just ends. "I give up."

The title's the same as the original. Even though you played the track live, you've basically transposed the left and right hand piano parts to two guitars, so there's minimal interpretation OR personalization. The track's 1 minute and 21 seconds long. Do those sound like traits we're likely to accept?

NO

I feel like, for all the background info you gave on the track, you could have saved yourself a lot of time by at least reading through the submissions guidelines more thoroughly.

I think your guitar performances were fairly decent overall, but the arrangement creativity wasn't there. You gotta present a lot more substance and creativity relative to the original if you want something to be posted here. I look forward to you sending something lengthier and more interpretive in the future.

• 5 weeks later...