*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Open Waters'

Liontamer

Contact Info

* ReMixer name: MarkShell

* E-mail: markusmachado@gmail.com

*Sorry, I didn't know where to find my user id, but my user name is markshell =/

ReMix Info

* Name of game ReMixed: Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

* Name of Individual Song ReMixed: Aquatic Ambiance

* Comments: This is a metal version of the song with real guitars, FL generated drums and bass. I decided to make this based on my band's style, to play it live and have fun with it, put some wild solos and stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkc - "Aquatic Ambiance" (dkc-08.spc)

Kinda sad in that the guitar is live, as it's rigidly performed enough that it might as well be sequenced. The panning in the intro is really gimmicky and not thought out well. Perhaps you need something supplementing the soundfield that's playing equally in both channels to not make the panning seem so extreme.

Picks up at :20 with some really beefy, grungier geetars joining in to fill things out. Drums are weak as hell, with boring/overly simplistic patterns, no energy, and are practically drowned out by those massively loud guitars.

Your supporting guitars are so ridiculously overbearing that they were nearly drowning out your lead guitar as well. What the hell's up with that? I dunno how it sounds on a different setup, like your speakers or whatever, but on headphones it sounds like muck.

Does a nice changeup to some more genteel stuff handling the melody at 1:48, but that was the only cool thing I really heard; all too brief with a poor segue to the next section.

Back to the supporting guitars drowning out some freestyling by the lead at 2:14. Melody's brought into the background from 2:45-3:15 while continuing the original wank, before dropping out the source melody and instead referencing of the chords of the original on the supporting guitars until 3:59. Decent ending to close things out, but it was way too little too late.

Among some other things, this needs more usage of the source tune compared to original material, usage of different sections of the source tune, more interesting drum writing, and WAY more reasonable sound balance.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh. Yeah, can we please get a more varied texture here? The balance between accompaniment and lead distorted guitars is horrible. I realize you're going for the wall of sound approach, but it's poorly executed here.

Drums? Moar liek ho-hums!

Sorry, that was pretty rude. :( But seriously, percussive work could be a lot more varied and integral to the mix, as well as brought out to really make a statement over the messy distortion.

Arrangement is lacking as well. Could be a lot more interpretive.

Also, more of that non-distorted electric stuff. It does sound nice, especially the end part that fades out way too quickly. :(

NO