Sonic 3 - Endless Mine

KingTiger

I really like the source tune (see here, disc 3 track 7), so I figured I'd comment.

First of all, I really like the atmosphere and the general arrangement. However, the samples are bordering on general midi, and severely need upgrading (you've acknowledged this).

As well, it kind goes dead for too long at 1:12-1:16. Shorten the gap, or fill it in with something. As well, I think that beefing up the drum track a little would be a good idea.

The song sort of just plods along; it doesn't really change that much. Try varying the instruments a little more, and maybe add a few more layers. Your ending could use a little work as well; it builds up, and then just slowly dies.

There are a lot of good ideas here; you've got the foundation for a great remix, it just needs a little more work.

Wow, what a mechanical sounding piano. You need to breathe some life into it! Besides some much needed note velocity changes, apply some light reverb and delay (I'm partial to ping-pong). Perhaps layer another pad, too. The percussion could use some light delay to make it more interesting. Change up those patterns, too. They're kind of "blah" right now. The triangle (?) wave sound doesn't really fit, in my opinion, and sounds cheap. I think a light choir would fit nicely in this, too. Also, I think you need to push this forward in terms of progression. Keep at it!

• 2 weeks later...

Well...hm. It's nice, but it needs more "Zazz." I think if you added some very simple, but heavy drum beats to it with some reverb, it'd add to the "emotion" of the track.

And as someone else said, it just "plods" along. It needs some life. So give it life man. LIFE!!

>.>

Anyways, I'll agree that it's a good foundation for a very good remix. So work on it some more, I'm sure you'll make it better than it is now. :3