*NO* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Pursuit Breakbeat'

Liontamer

Ahh... Hi there. I've improved greatly since the last time I submitted, I hope you can hear the changes. ^^

I'm not quite sure who the original composer is... I've looked almost everywhere. :P Oh, and my ReMixer name is cornandbeans. Nice to meet you. :P

I hope you enjoy this one, I'm trying to add a bit more meat to the Donkey Kong Country 3 section.

~cornandbeans

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkdt - "Hot Pursuit" (kdt-23.spc)

The composer of the original was Eveline Novakovic, FYI.

LIGHTNING ROUND! (stolen from The Wingless)

*Bitrate is too low for no reason

*Good energy to start off with

*Nice breakdown from 1:22-1:49

*Faux guitar lead at 2:05 is a bit too loud, but used creatively

*The breakbeats used until 2:20 are too repetitive; vary them up more so the energy isn't so static

*Love the string work; nothing flashy, but it was done well

*Way too much delay on the synth guitar from 2:47-3:02; you can tone it down without losing the overall feel you're going for

*Many of the sounds (melodic lead, drums) are bland; could use stronger effects/processing work to achieve the energy the writing intends

*Phat groove (abruptly, IMO) brought in at 3:15 that reminded me of Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction"

Lots of promising stuff here that needs to be polished up on the production side before I can feel strongly on passing it.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

[bias]Damn, there is some bass in this submission! That's what I like to hear![/bias]

Ok, great sub-bass aside (source had quite a bit of bass too), the production on this is well done. I agree with Liontamer on the points that he made here for improvement. For me the guitar that comes in at 2.05 is too loud, and the bitrate is indeed too low. For the synth work, some modulation might help them sound more interesting. This is almost a pass for me - I'd definitely like to see a resub of this.

NO (Please resubmit)

I agree with Larry's critiques, though I would add that the bass is probably a *little* too loud here. Conversely, the high end is kind of weak. Encode higher using VBR to preserve more of that. The snare sequencing is weak on the offbeats - try a different sample there. As is, it sounds out of place. Listen to a lot of breakbeat and dnb songs - the snare or sample used on the offbeats is never quite the same one as the one used on the downbeats.

The synth guitar sequencing is cool. It is, however, mixed kind of poorly - needs to be a little softer and cut through the mix more. Switching up the breaks towards the end would be a good idea too. The fadeout ending is on the weak end - a shame, because the arrangement was good overall.

Fix some of these production issues and you'll be closer to a YES. Keep at it.

NO, RESUBMIT