*NO* Final Fantasy 10-2 'From a Dream (2006 Edit)' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2585

1st RESUB Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2832

Handle: Skrypnyk

Game: Final Fantasy X-2

Title: From a Dream (2006 Edit)

It's been awhile, but I've learned a lot since I first submitted this. There are some rendering issues that I hope isn't a huge deal, I tried several time to minimize that issue.

Difficult. The drums are so generic in the way they're programmed. Textbook boom-tish. It wouldn't be such a problem if the arrangement wasn't so close to the source. Reading some of the past votes lends the suggestion that the judges liked the arrangement and didn't like the production. I'm the opposite here. I think the arrangement is a sore spot as it's basically the original with a few minor changes to the melody + beats.

zyko's vote on the last resubmission sums up the way I feel about this mix in general. It's enjoyable to listen to, but it's the fact that the source was good is what's driving this piece along. I'm sure there'd be plenty of people who'd enjoy this mix, but it doesn't pass the arrangement bar for me. I'd say it's borderline on that front. If the drums could be programmed in a more interesting way, and the melody maybe deviating from the base original occasionally, then this'd be a pass. I hate to ask for another resubmission on a song that's already been resubmitted twice, but that's what I'm going to do.

NO (Resubmit)

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/FFX-2_psf2.rar - 101 "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

I went NO on the first resub, and I'm not seeing how this is ready to go once again. The bar's gone up since both previous submissions. Not much higher, mind you. But when given the time to hear a track like this, where the changes aren't particularly drastic, a lot of the flaws are more glaring and impactful.

The belltones are rather bland; the timing's rigid and the notes are generally at the same volume throughout. Plus just having that single, lonesome lead makes it sound pretty weak. Even when you have the synths harmonize with the belltones at 2:10, the combination of sounds is very spartan, and not really filled out by the rather basic beatwork. The sound/synth design is bland and the textures aren't sophisticated enough to make up for it.

The arrangement's personalized, but could stand to be more interpretive, sure. It's less of an issue for me, but I definitely see where TO's coming from. Handing in another resub, you have a chance to do more than this on the arrangement side now, plus amp it up on the production side, and none of that happened.

Look at the breakdown at 3:00. I remember when those little embellishment synths (3:02, 3:06, 3:09, 3:12, etc.) were actually audible. Now I could barely hear them, and I think the only reason I noticed they were therewas because I was familiar with the previous versions of the submission. The soundfield's not quite fleshed out, and you're pulling embellishment ideas into the background?

Dynamically, you could use a bit more in the way of buildups and breakdowns; the ones you had in there were a bit modest in the dynamic changes, but otherwise on the right track. The sounds you're using are also hampering the track from a dynamic standpoint. You change up various stuff over time, but none of it really makes the track sound much different in the end, so there's not enough contrast created.

3:59-4:50 has some liberal arrangement ideas, especially with the belltones, but wasn't particularly harmonius at any point, which seemed like a changeup for the sake of having something different to pass the arrangement standard. Hate to sound presumptuous, but that's what I presume.

This track really needs more than some touchups, it would need an overhaul of sorts to get something passable. Again, it's not that this track is bad, but at the same time you've gone about as far as you can go with these incremental changes from sub to sub.

NO

• 2 months later...

TO's right; there's really very little arrangement here, and the production is what actually feels like a stronger point. I have no major qualms in that regard, other than the sequencing of the whistle sample you used from 1:41-2:10, which sounds very bland and choppy. Had you chosen a better lead there, it might have made for a stronger breakdown, but even so... not much going on. The whole mix is pretty generic, in my opinion. Where's the interpretation? Where's the feeling? Seems like you just trance-ified the source with some stereotypical techno formula you'd find in a wikipedia article. I vant more!

NO RESUBMIT