Somewareman

1. work-in-progress Mother 3 Medley: Duster's Theme, Going Alone, Gentle Rain

4 posts in this topic

Ok, so I've been working on this one for a while, and I like how it's turned out so far. I'd just like to get some advice and criticism regarding stuff the overall sound quality, synth choices, and general composition. I'd really like to submit this for judging sometime, so I want to make sure I've taken care of all the little details to make it good and polished.

A couple specific concerns I had involved the drums and synth I used at 2:10. I want to make sure the drums aren't sounding too repetitive and that transitions between sources are smooth enough. The problem with the synth is just preference, really. Does it actually sound good to other people? I like it, personally, but at the same time, I don't know if it fits the mood of the track.

Let me know if anything sounds weird. Any feedback is appreciated.

Sources: 

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_of_a_Thief?file=MOTHER_3-_Mind_of_a_Thief

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Going_Alone?file=MOTHER_3-_Going_Alone

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Gentle_Rain?file=MOTHER_3-_Gentle_Rain

Huzzah for Mother 3 mixes! I personally like the synths in use, and the drums feel appropriate for the smooth, chill kinda vibe that seems to be the goal here. The whole thing has a very warm feeling, like I'm standing outside in the middle of a rain shower in 100+ degree weather. Normally a bad idea, but if this song was playing, I'd be able to handle it. The transitions seemed pretty smooth to me, and the frog ambiance for the intro/outro was kinda neat. The only thing I might suggest is seeing if you could add a little bit more of a crisp feel to one of the leads you're using. Something to make the whole piece stand out more. But that's a personal pref.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:23 PM, Souperion said:

Huzzah for Mother 3 mixes! I personally like the synths in use, and the drums feel appropriate for the smooth, chill kinda vibe that seems to be the goal here. The whole thing has a very warm feeling, like I'm standing outside in the middle of a rain shower in 100+ degree weather. Normally a bad idea, but if this song was playing, I'd be able to handle it. The transitions seemed pretty smooth to me, and the frog ambiance for the intro/outro was kinda neat. The only thing I might suggest is seeing if you could add a little bit more of a crisp feel to one of the leads you're using. Something to make the whole piece stand out more. But that's a personal pref.

Thanks for the feedback! Which lead were you referring to, exactly? Since I got new headphones, I noticed that there was a really high frequency humming accompanying the main lead I'm using throughout most of the song. I couldn't hear it before, but it might have been causing some of the strange volume peaking that I tried to fix with a little compression. I'll see what I can do about adjusting eq's.

Which lead? Err, whichever one/s take the main melody part. Maybe even just for certain parts, I just think that a little contrast to all the smoother sounds would keep the feel engaging all the way through. You know, like duplicating the lead and making the extra a little crisper for repeat parts and the like. The slight change could make the difference for some listeners.