*NO* Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Puppet Trance'

Liontamer

I figured I'd try submitting this mix again after tweaking the EQ and effects. Yeah it sounds a lot like the original, and it probably won't get uploaded to the site, but I figure I'd try submitting it anyway.

Instead of just saying "No", how about leaving some real comments as to why, exactly, it doesn't deserve a spot on ocremix? That would help me make a better mix of it.

Game: Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn, PC)

Song: Panic Puppet Zone, Act-1

Remixer: JD Harding

I didn't have the means to edit the ID tag, nor did I give the remix a snazzy new title. If anything, 'Puppet Trance' would probably be good enough.

Way too similar to the original. Basically a trance cover, for what it's worth. You've essentially replaced all the acid leads with more stereotypical trance synths. Piano riff is pretty darn verbatim.

Same key, same riffs, same general progression. Opening reverb + delay + ping pong was kind of obnoxious, but that had very very little to do with my vote. There's your reasons chief.

NO

Now then, if I could address a couple things on a slightly separate note.

I figured I'd try submitting this mix again after tweaking the EQ and effects. Yeah it sounds a lot like the original, and it probably won't get uploaded to the site, but I figure I'd try submitting it anyway.

Instead of just saying "No", how about leaving some real comments as to why, exactly, it doesn't deserve a spot on ocremix?

First of all, if you don't think it'll get a spot on the site, why bother submitting? That's just a crappy attitude, bro. Second of all, what the hell do you mean "How about leaving some real comments as to why..."

Perhaps I may seem like I'm getting all bent out of shape over nothing, as perhaps you meant nothing by it, but c'mon man. Dude, read our dang votes. 98% of them usually lay down exactly that very thing, AS WELL AS what usually needs to be done to earn a spot. Your wording sounds as if you attempt to villianize the panel as simply stamping a vote with no measure of reason or rationality. Eff that, dude.

You can't really expect polite feedback when you lay it out like that, now can you?

Oh, and winamp can edit ID tags, btw.

I'm in total agreement with BGC. This is pretty much a trance cover of the original song. There's hardly any arrangement here.

NO

Instead of just saying "No", how about leaving some real comments as to why, exactly, it doesn't deserve a spot on ocremix?

First of all, if you don't think it'll get a spot on the site, why bother submitting? That's just a crappy attitude, bro. Second of all, what the hell do you mean "How about leaving some real comments as to why..."

Perhaps I may seem like I'm getting all bent out of shape over nothing, as perhaps you meant nothing by it, but c'mon man. Dude, read our dang votes. 98% of them usually lay down exactly that very thing, AS WELL AS what usually needs to be done to earn a spot. Your wording sounds as if you attempt to villianize the panel as simply stamping a vote with no measure of reason or rationality. Eff that, dude.

You can't really expect polite feedback when you lay it out like that, now can you?

Oh, and winamp can edit ID tags, btw.

Quoted for emphasis. If you don't think it has a shot at getting on OCR, don't "submit it anyway." If you don't have confidence in your own music, why should we spend time judging it?

Personally I felt all three past decisions you had here were reasonable and featured valid criticism to work with. I'm not sure what the problem is, to be frank, but it's not as if you sounded angry about it, so I'm certainly not offended or anything.

Sonic 3D Blast (Game Rip) - (16) "Panic Puppet Act 1"

Not a favorite track of mine from Sonic 3D blast, which had some REALLY enrapturing stuff.

Decent intro though the sounds were pretty thin and generic. The synth design here was really bland the whole way through. Piano at 1:19 was too mechanically sequenced, even for the genre. Just because it sounded like that in the original doesn't mean it couldn't be improved. Here, the piano writing was swiped wholesale and it's lame.

The clap track and arpeggiated synth lead were way too straightforward, cookie cutter, and boring. Even when using these sounds combinations, a lot more is possible when the part writing is more sophisticated and creative, particularly the supporting parts that glue the track together. That just wasn't there in this mix.

The arrangement didn't scratch the surface of actually interpreting the original, and on top of that I felt it de-emphasized the melodic direction of the original. What's here isn't as memorable as the original. The track was also undermined by the bland textures and poor production.

Given time, I felt like you were on the way to some better created and better executed ideas based on "Boss the Boss", so don't get discouraged even if you don't like the system here. Even if you never subbed here again, I still encourage you to continue your musical development and learn how to use your existing tools more effectively.

NO