EchoGhost616

1. work-in-progress Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (80s Dance Mix)

4 posts in this topic

There's a nice airy quality to this piece, which only adds your music video for it. Your percussion is pretty engaging, though one particular part of it threatens to overpower the rest of the music. I think it'd be the snare or what have you, the one that is notably louder. If you could rein that in a little, it would be a nice contrast while not being distracting. That said, I think you've got a pretty good mix. It's a timeless source (bad pun, I know) with nice attention to personalization while being oh-so recognizable. I honestly don't know if it matches the "80s dance" feel, but I think its a nice unique mix. Good work!

I echo Souperion--there's an airy ambiance to your mix, something distant, wistful, and(fittingly) beyond any single era.  My only suggestion would be in regard to the title.  It just seems almost pretentious to simply slap an "80's Mix" sticker on something so uniquely haunting.  How about 'The Revelation of Analog Dreams'?  The name would seem fitting because the synths sound distinctly analog, and Enhansa is known as Zeal's 'city of dreams'.  There, the people sleep their lives away in search of deeper truths, which they believe, may only be found beyond the veils of sleep.

Thanks for sharing. Here's my brief two bits, please take with a grain of salt of course. I think there are essentailly two choices to make right now in a choose-your-own-adventure/choose-your-ending-of-Chrono-Trigger, hint, do not fight the last boss until after you lose Chrono and find him again :)

Anyways, pick 1 or 2 or both in which order you prefer. I'd give the following for a reference track. It may not fit exactly what you are going for, but I think it might be insightful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxB07m-JnEk)

1. Revamp the musical arrangement, Musically, I really like what's happening at the 2:00 buildup. This is what the mix is about. You make something new here musically. Nobody has ever done that before. Everyone knows the source material for this one; so you have a lot of freedom to try new ideas. Heck, maybe listen to all of the ReMixes of this track right now for some inspirational ideas. Now, beats. Program all the beats, go through each measure (no more repeating). Most importantly make those cool fills like what you do at 4:50 be everywhere in the mix, everywhere, I mean everywhere.

and/or

2. Revamp the sound design. Fatten/thin it up, make it sound more professional (easier said than done, I know, and I'm sorry, but I do not have much expertise in that area), (bigger sounds is basically what I think needs to happen here, more resonance, more filters, more modulation, you know, that sort of thing, more programming), mix it up, EQ, panning, volume, stereo effects, all that cool stuff. Listen to some of your favorite tracks and try to emulate.

Anyways, that's my two bits. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this. Keep it up!