*NO* Quake 2 'Stroggicide'

Liontamer

ReMixer: Nordin

Email: remix@jsquaredproductions.com

Game: Quake 2

Songs: Quad Machine, Operation Overlord, Rage, Kill Ratio, and Decent into Cerberon

Add. Info: Quake 2 was, of course, Id software's glorious FPS from wayback in 1997. The music was done by Sonic Mayhem and was quite good, hence the compulsion to honor it in ReMix form.

Misc.: In the mix I'm playing Drums whereas my brother is playing guitar and bass, mixing duties were handled by my father and I was responsible for the actual arrangement. I hope you enjoy this underappreciated soundtrack now delivered in head-banging metal quality!

• 1 month later...

Quake 2 Soundtrack - 7 "Quad Machine", 2 "Operation Overlord", 3 "Rage", 4 "Kill Ratio" & 9 "Descent Into Cerberon"

First off, I don't wanna take away from the coolness of a family playing as a band and on top of that playing some VG music. That's pretty badass, and I like what y'all are doing.

Nonetheless, this arrangement is still a ways off from anything we'd accept. The arrangement is way too conservative and uninterpretive. The textures here are emptier and simpler than the originals. I can't even lie, it's hard to tell where one source track ends and another begins. But the arrangement basically just crams near-verbatim covers of all 5 source tunes within its 6:52 length. The multitracked performance could be tighter, but was certainly decent. There's just not much interpretation here.

On top of that, the track tends to get boring after a while. Aside from some very minor changeups (e.g. 6:11, the ending), it's mostly the same instrument combinations going on at the same intensity for a long time without any major dynamic contrast to keep the song evolving and interesting. It needs more substance over the long haul than this.

I'd look forward to something else from you guys, but I'd say keep the site's standards and guidelines more in mind.

NO

i agree with larry. it is great that you are a family band playin this arrangement. that really is awesome.

however, the arrangement is simple as hell. it has almost no discernable arrangement and is actually less effective than the original. the live instrumentation does make it sound a lot more organic than the source and that aspect is entertaining but it needs more meat.

as far as playing, its great that you bust out these drums (i dig that) and the guitar playing is on point, too. this needs some direction. it is like a body without a head. it just needs a purpose, a tone, a driving arrangement idea... something to go along with the sheer METAL. which isn't even all that shearing because of how relatively empty it is in the soundfield. not enough layering, not enough changes over the course of the piece. the attempt here is clear to me: there are stretches of this where it feels like i am listening to an early studio demo of a new Tool song but without any of the creative trademarks or the progressive character.

in any case. please, please please,,, work on this and give it back to us. this can be very good but it needs a little more work

until you bring it back with more bite

NO

Really just gonna reiterate what Larry and weed said. The arrangement doesn't do anything notable with the source.

The rhythm section is locked in, which is good. Time is never an issue, and the guitar/bass unison lines are tight. Good work on the performance.

One thing I'd change about the production is a little more verb on the snare and toms. That would help fill the soundfield, which weed noted was a bit sparse. They feel a little dry for my taste. Especially at the beginning.

Anyway, good sounds, we just need a bit more creativity on the arrangement level. It really feels like its meandering by the end.

NO