Liontamer

Contact Info

ReMixer name: balthasar

email address: folge_dem_balken@web.de

ReMix info

name of game: Final Fantasy 6

Name od song: kefka

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Kefka" (ff6-108.spc)

LIGHTNING ROUND! (stolen from The Wingless)

*Soundfield is very lo-fi, instruments are thin, and the sample quality is subpar

*Sequencing is very rigid, not compensating for the sample quality

*Textures are too sparse

*Arrangement shows some creativity within the genre adaptation with some solid instrumentation concepts and new writing, but the execution is holding it back

NO

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, your string samples are definitely a problem here, I'm afraid. Each one is rearticulated with a screechy bow sound, so the phrases come out sounding choppy and fake. Hardly any vibrato, either! Most of the sounds are pretty subpar. If you'd like some help finding (and learning how to use) some decent free samps, check out the remixing forums.

I think you're on the right track, creativly speaking, but you can't rely too much on simply setting the original to a different style... in this case, orchestral. Things got a little repetitive after a while. If you took longer to build up to your climax, I bet some more original ideas would pop up along the way. Keep at it!

NO

VERY rigid/mechanical sequencing, the instruments do not sound realistic at all. Hit the ReMixing / Guides & Tutorials forum to get some advice on this topic - even if you are only using free sounds, you can get them to sound way b etter. The arrangement is very close to the original in a lot of ways, aside from a few chord changes, and it's also very repetitive. You did have some good ideas here and there but you need to go a lot further and develop them - fill out the texture, for example, be more creative with adding original material and varying the melody & rhythms of the original. If you really made the sequencing and production much more realistic, and had a higher level of variation and new material, you could probably get away with using a small ensemble like you are now. However it would be easier if you didn't limit yourself.

I also want to add that the point of this site is not just to do simple genre adaptations of game themes, but to go one step further and create truly unique adaptations. Even if there were no production issues here whatsoever, and you had this played by the best musicians in the world, it would still not be passable due to the arrangement issues. Try listening to other ReMixes on the site in an orchestral style (artists like Jared Hudson, Russell Cox, Jeremy Robson, Tyler Heath) to get a better idea of where our bar is at.

Good luck with your next sub.

NO