guitars distortion

Synth

I'm not quite sure on how to set up distortion properly. All I'm able to get out of my pedal(boss md-2) is metalish sounds. How do you guys go about setting up this sort of junk? Theres a lot of diffrent sounds I'm trying to achieve but what I really want at this moment is something similar to Joe Satrianis. For those of you who don't listen to him(you better start :P) hes has kinda of a rock/blues distortion.

I use a Johnson J-Station for gigging. It's got a pretty decent variety of amp sims, and when you hook it up to a PC via MIDI and use the editing software, you can do all kinds of shit with it. As far as in-home recording goes, it's not bad, but you'd be better off with Guitar Rig 2 or AmpliTube 2 or something.

Or you could buy a Peavey JSX stack or combo.

Joe Satriani has a lot of 'tubeness' in his sound; you can hear all the variations he put in dynamics with his fingers even if he uses heavy distortion.

If you wanna have a sound like him, you better buy a tube amp and crank it up to have natural tube distortion. I haven't heard any software amp where you can get a decent solo distortion.

Ok, so just a few hours ago, I, for the first time in my life, got a chance to play through an actual cranked up tube amp.

Holy shit, teh hawtness. Played on my cousin's Kendrick and his Princeton, and the tone was absolutely eargasmic.

Emulations I've tried do not even come close to the real thing.

HOWEVER, I'll have to dissagree with PriZm's assertion that you can't get good solo distortion from software. Amplitube 2, though it may not sound like a REAL tube amp, can sound absolutely fantastic on leads.