*NO* Cave Story 'Island of Eden'

Liontamer

* ReMixer / Real Name - Kris Davis (please credit me under this name and this name only, thanks)

* raijin_spark@yahoo.co.uk

* Your website: under construction

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums - I've searched around for a good 15 mins for this number and cant find anything anywhere? the username is _Raijin_ if that helps. sorry couldn't fill this part out.

ReMix Info

* Cave Story - Doukutsu Monogatari

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Zombie, Run!, The Last Battle, Quiet, The Way Back Home.

* Lots of people here might've already heard this one from the Cave Story Remix Project, for those of you who haven't, your'e missing out on a lot of great music ;) As for this track, or these tracks, in particular, well, I found they had some great themes running through them and was inspired. I joined the project in its (reasonably) early stages, but after two failed attempts to mix other tracks, I gave up on it for a while. I came back to the project with about one week to go and, luckily having the week off, managed to record and mix the whole thing in 5 days. Worth the wait I reckon, heh.

* On another note, people keep asking me what kind of synth I used for the spooky noises and the hammond sounding one later in the track, and the truth is...I didn't. Everything you hear on the track is either live guitar, live bass, or sequenced drums, nothing else but some post-recording engineering/mixing trickery ;)

(the following is not to be printed in blurb preferably)

and on a final note, regarding the sound quality of the mix. this thing, being over 7 mins long wouldnt play nice and squeeze under the 6 meg limit so it's encoded at 32% VBR quality mp3 so some high end quality loss occured. If you like, maybe the judges could use the copy of the song posted on the CSRP site to judge by, but the track attached here isn't of too noticeably poor quality either way.

• 3 weeks later...

The intro reminds me of radiohead. The encoding is hurting the track, but there's really nothing to be done about that besides perhaps just boosting the high EQ.

I'm at 2:00, and the track is really sounding like you ran a bandpass on it. There's no bass part, and the highs are cut. There's an audible bass guitar after 2:30, but then it slips away behind the mix again. I think you need to work with the bass EQ to make it more audible.

The guitar performance is pretty good..definitely enjoyable. The arrangement and composition are pretty good, if pretty straightforward. The track gets rather repetitive.

I think you could solve both of this track's problems by shortening it by a minute or two and boosting the encoding. It's really longer than it needs to be, and the encoding is really hurting the track. Hope you can fix this.

NO

intro is nice. it caught my attention until the guitars came in. feels too empty for far too long. then when you actually get to the meat of your arrangement, i realize that it isn't going to get any meatier. it was going to stay empty forever; adding a bass may help that. your transitions have very little life, it is as though the track meanders through most of the arrangement. that said, you have a lot of different themes and your arrangement is actually quite good if it weren't for how dead the tone sounds. it makes it very difficult to get into the track. this can be good because the arrangement idea and the performance aren't bad but the encoding, mixing and the total lack of bass and "meat" leaves it too hollow for the genre and the tone you are undoubtedly trying to create.

for now,

NO

Cave Story OSV - (30) "Zombie", (15) "Run!", (31) "The Last Battle", (22) "Quiet", & (35) "The Way Back Home"

Cool stuff to start off with. The percussion writing's plodding in places (e.g. the sections with non-stop cymbal work and the boring snare shot repeating ad nauseum). And without a substantial bass presence, the track's incredibly empty. Definitely revisit the mixing of this one. Like zyko also mentioned, the tone is incredibly lacking, which undermines the energy level your writing is going for.

Dunno why, but the lead guitar performance tends to sound stiff in some places. Not too many comments on specific areas of the track as the arrangement was generally good. Cool changeup at 3:36. Wasn't a fan of the changeup at 5:57 to "The Way Back Home" on any level, as it abruptly got really syrupy sweet and didn't fit thematically with any of the preceeding material; possibly a jarring key change, I wouldn't know.

The arrangement of the various themes is aight, though I thought the overall dynamics were pretty poor. Aside from the source tunes changing, the track chugs and chugs away for 7:23 without enough significant changes in the instrumentation combinations or energy/intensity level to keep things interesting, especially in the latter half of the piece.

I'm gonna leave the sub comments on the encoding quality up because there's nothing to be self-conscious about, Kris. The current encoding quality on this sub may be a bit lossy, but sounds perfectly reasonable for the site standards, BTW. LAME VBR is recommended by many for encoding purposes, so perhaps give that a shot. Try a few different VBR encodings with different bitrate ranges and see what gets the closest to the 6MB threshold.

Revisit the mixing (more lows and highs) and provide stronger dynamics, and this would be in much stronger shape.

NO (resubmit)