*NO* Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 'Aryll in Concert'

Liontamer

Rather inconsistant, but worth a look - LT

REMIX DOWNLOAD:

Contact info:

ReMixer name: zilver

e-mail adress: eliassonisak@hotmail.com

(no website)

UserID: (I couldn't find any, my name's "zilver")

ReMix info:

Game remixed: Zelda The Windwaker

Songs remixed: Aryll's Theme, Credits Song (the classical OOT tune)

Comments: With this remix I'm giving you a ticket to the ultra-hyped almost 2-minute long 30's show "Aryll In Concert".

It's an instant classic! Imagine being there in the audience when the red curtains are drawn aside... It begins with a simple piano and ends with the entire orchestra.

Broadway style (and a bunch of other ones too)! This is the show-biz musical version of Aryll's Theme!

What started as a simple chord-switching experiment (making Aryll's Theme a bit more blues-style) turned into something...unique. I guess you won't like it but...

I hope you enjoy it anyway!

I agree with Larry. The level of consistency here is quite low, but this is still interesting to hear. The opening piano was really pretty. The vibes that kick in around :10 are too loud and muddy. I'm not sure what you're using, but if you're using FL, you need to make sure the "cut itself" option is turned off on your sample. Change up to the jazzy portion at :48. ...Really doesn't last as long as I felt it should have--only about 20 seconds. Then transitions into a swashbuckling pirate-ish sound with the accordian right after.

Well, Isak, you've got some interesting ideas melodically going on here. You definitely show room to grow in the mixing and production departments. Use the WIP forums, or possibly #ocrwip on IRC to get some feedback. Find a mix that you think is produced really well and ask for specific feedback as to what you can do to reduce the muddiness, tweak your volume on individual instruments and effectively utilize your FX like reverb, EQ and whatever else.

I'd offer some of that super-specific feedback myself, but I personally view this as an incomplete WIP that still needs to be built upon a little more before I can simply tell you everything it would probably need to get the YES from myself and the rest of the J crew (plus, it's kind of a time-issue). Zircon's usually pretty good about providing super-specific feedback on stuff like that, so maybe you can bug him for some :)

For the record (I'm pretty sure I can speak for the rest of the panel here) but I believe there's pretty much and unspoken consensus that 99.98% of the time, any mix that's not even 2:00 will be rejected regardless of how awesome it may sound, or how well it's produced. As OCR has evolved and the acceptance bar has been pushed upward as our resources and skills have evolved, there's more weight on arrangement than there's ever been. And remember, you're recreating a theme to be a stand-alone track, so it'd be a good thing to make it long enough to enjoy for a couple minutes at the very least (as in, longer than 1:45), but not long enough to overdo it.

Expand some more on your ideas here. I like the jazzy, snazzy style you've tried to mold the source to, because it's upbeat and unexpected, especially considering the mood of the source.

Keep at it, man. Good luck with your stuff in the future.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

The Legend of Zelda ~Takt of Wind~ Original Sound Tracks - 259 "Aryll's Theme" & 256 "Ending"

The usage of both themes is pretty underdeveloped. Nice piano intro gradually moving into the vibe-type stuff and strings. Seemed aight for the first half before transitioning into some very ugly brass and piano performance work at :48 moving into the slightly different "Ending" theme (not the "Staff Credits" theme).

Once things picked up, the sequencing was exposed as really rigid and the brass and bass had no meat on 'em. Accordian at 1:07 sounds really bright compared to the roomy piano resulting in a huge quality disparity. They should at least be produced so that they sound like they're in the same room.

So yeah, definitely an inconsistant track in terms of the sample quality, plus the arrangement is really underdeveloped. Some arrangements can pull off under 2 minutes, and this isn't one of 'em. Good base, and you certainly show potential, but this isn't close to the bar yet.

NO

the piano intro was nice and while the transition into the vibes was clever, this is decidedly undercooked. it does not develop any idea long enough to engage the listener and its overall length is barely a blink of an eye. to be exact, this is a teaser if anything and even then, the ideas are not developed to a point where it is effective teasing.

it simply does not offer much. the idea, however, is fantastic. a chill, smooth, jazzy take on one of the finer themes from wind waker.

come again with a little more development to what you are trying to do and somethin a little more than a tease

NO