*NO* Mega Man X "Armored Armadillo"

Rexy

ReMixer name:  Deadly Ax

ID:  30500
Name of game:  MEGAMAN X (
ROCKMAN X)
Name of arrangement:  Armored Armadillo
Additional information:  Super Nintendo Entertainment System,山本節生(Setsuo Yamamoto)
about the mix:  I used VST Instruments for all tracks.
When I was young, I played MEGAMAN X over and over again.
The days passed and I started to like Metal.
So when I arranged,made the genre Metal.

Edited by Rexy

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the energy, and that's pretty darn good work for a VST electric guitar, but there are a lot of issues.  Timing is all over the place, including places where it's obvious you're using VST's because the tail of one note is overlapping the attack of the next.  There are several wrong notes, many of which are caused by parts playing in different keys at the same time.  Production could be improved in a few ways as well, but first things first.  I recommend you hit up the workshop forums and go through a few drafts there.

NO

I agreed with everything MindWanderer said; the big sound is ambitious, but not well executed; as long as you keep refining your execution though, Kouichi, you have the potential to sound great. This has sloppy timing and wrong notes with the guitar, and, especially during the densest sections, the mixing was sloppy and imbalanced. The choir sample used at 1:56 couldn't be deciphered and just got barreled over by the guitars and drums, which wouldn't make sense in a realistic setting. Lots of energy, but the timing, notes, and mixing all add up to needing to hear this redone or refined.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/05/08 - (2N) Mega Man X "Armored Armadillo"

For an entirely VST package, the writing has a lot of energy and ambition behind it.  The drum writing is top-notch, the usage of the theme at the tail ends are distinct to each other bar the use of melody A, the synth guitar has some sweet expression work behind it despite its nature, and the framework as a whole feels tight.

I'd have to disagree with MW and Larry about one thing, though - the notation feels more like non-harmonic notes rather than deliberately being in different keys to each other.  What I think they're trying to say is that because they're playing on different parts of the spectrum, the synergy doesn't feel as tight as it should be - so it would be nice to hear all your different parts complement each other rather than go wild on their separate ways.

But two things became dealbreakers to me.  Firstly, the mixdown is rough and over-compressed.  If there's a limiter in your master chain, weaken it.  Then consider re-doing the mixdown, making sure all your parts sound good and avoid this painfully distorted crunch.  Secondly, while I can identify the source at the tail ends, it's still only 43% usage in the entire track, so consider referencing it or more MMX2 sources in the big comping section (1:01-2:31).

As it is, Kouichi, you have potential with the amount of energy and enthusiasm behind this track.  But the execution leaves a lot to be desired, especially in regards to the production.  Adding more source is a secondary concern in comparison, but is something to look out for when working on future material.  Should you ever get to refine the presentation on this one or submit other tracks, I'm interested to see how far you can grow.

NO

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy locked this topic