Name of game: Deltarune
Name of arrangement: Funk Buster
Name of songs Arranged: 
Rude Buster (Deltarune) [Main Source]

With a couple of references:
Gaster's Theme (Undertale) [Specifically at 1:29 - 1:59] 
Asgore [Specifically at 2:45 - 3:00]

• 1 month later...

Fun!  Pretty conservative, but there's fun original takes sprinkled throughout.

I didn't feel like the sidechaining that started at 1:00 was helpful, and was kind of distracting.  Balance is off throughout, with the bass and kicks being too loud and most of the leads (except the piano) being too quiet.

I was on the fence about the production here for a while, but after many listens I don't think its issues are dealbreaking.  I'll take it.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2019/07/04 - (1Y) Deltarune "Funk Buster"
  • 1 month later...

yeah, i agree this is a pretty loud track. the drums are real loud throughout (especially the kick is just huge), and the sidechaining at 1:00 is also really distracting. there's some fun things going on though, between comping over the chord patterns, some of the subtractive stuff around 1:30, and the soloing on the melody at around 2:13. i do think it's tiring to listen to however due to that kick being so huge.

the ending is just kinda there. everything sort of just stops at 3:00, and what's left is not an ending as much as a rendered tail. outside of that, though, the arrangement is great. my main concerns are with the mastering, and after a few listens on a few sets of headphones i think it's not enough to reject based on that. i think this does clear the bar.

YES

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I could have gone for something more melodically interpretive, but the personalization of the theme was handled nicely, so there's no issues re: the arrangement.

Really smooth usage of the Gaster theme at 1:29; that's really the first time I've heard it sound mysterious yet positive as opposed to scary; beautiful touch.

Not a fan of the exposed keyboard at 1:59; it's a purposeful aesthetic but still doesn't really sound good. However, it's only a dozen seconds, so we'll live.

The soundscape did come off cluttered, but not in a dealbreaking way. I liked hearing that grimy backing synth adding some flavor to things throughout.

The core beats ultimately ended up feeling too repetitive, but there was dynamic contrast via dropoffs, and the instrumentation & textures did change around enough to make up for the thump/clap beats dragging out.

Agreed with the ending being flat and sounding like a jumpy transition to an underwhelming fadeout.

Overall, Erick, the beat-writing and mixing could have been tweaked, but what here gets it done in a fun way! Count it!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/07/04 - (3Y) Deltarune "Funk Buster"

The BGM breakdown is a piece of cake.  Aside from that section at 1:00-1:29 with the chord breakdown, you'll always hear at least one of the sources listed in play.  It's a straightforward structure - the A section, the break into Gaster, a build to the B section / Toby Fox solo (not comping as prophetik said), some smooth integration of the E section for Asgore into the A section's chorus, and a simplistic high-pass/fade ending.  It's not what I would consider groundbreaking, but the integrations of other sources, building transitions and harmonies (0:52) add some moments of brilliance in the arrangement.

I agree with the loud mixdown, especially going up towards the bass and low-mids.  Luckily, the breakdown with the Gaster cameo and the fast side-chaining did enough to tame the framework in time for the B section at 2:14.   The instruments are also clear enough to take them all in, and I appreciate the bass having both a tone and resonance noise to cut through the rest of the soundscape.  The drum writing isn't the most engaging I've heard, but the dynamics, dropouts and fills do enough to keep the energy flowing, albeit more subtle.  And I also agree with Larry regarding that dry piano at 1:59 - it's a suitable tone for the aesthetic, but I would've liked to have heard a hint of reverb to cut back its dryness. The production crits I've mentioned are all that I consider "nice to have" next to the clean mixdown, so I feel it's barely gone above the bar.

Nevertheless, it's a fun ride with a reasonable amount of interpretation and a balanced mix.  It's not bad for your debut mixpost, Erick, and I hope you'll take what you've learned to keep improving your craft.  For now, welcome to the clan!

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04077 - *YES* Deltarune & Undertale "Funk Buster"
  • Rexy locked this topic