Headphone question

I recently got a decent set of headphones, and I have a question. I notice that if I press the earpieces against my head with my hands, I get a much (what I perceive to be) better sound. Increased bass, volume, and clarity.  Should I continue to put a strap around my head and headphones to maintain this sound? Does this throw of my perception of EQ? I have a small head.  A google search was unsatisfactory. Thanks, and I apologize if this is a silly question ahead of time:)

Sony MDR 7506.

The thing is, is I have always had this issue with any headphones, even for just casual listening my entire adult life. I was trying to do "mixing" with earbuds, because you don't have to worry about having a pin head with earbuds;) For the same reason, I like listening to tunes through earbuds. So I've been taking an elastic strap and putting it around my head and headphones, therefor pressing the earpieces against my head harder. The sound difference is significant, even to my untrained ear. No, this is not an April Fools day joke...LOL! Also, I have read that people who have started listening to music through non bass enhancing headphones complain of a "tinny" sound....so perhaps I'm hearing the sound correctly if I don't have the earpieces pressed against my head with a strap?

Any headphones I have ever worn feel wobbly and unsecured against my head....so I don't even know if that is a normal sensation or not. 

I thank you for your response, and any further responses ahead of time:)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quite an old topic, but I figure I'll throw my 2 cents into here... I don't think it's a good idea to press your headphones more tightly onto your ears. What that does is trap more of the bass and just force more sound into your ears instead of letting it sound natural. Headphones are not made for you to tighten them up onto your head; they're made to just put on and take off without having to customize for your own head.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:51 AM, timaeus222 said:

Quite an old topic, but I figure I'll throw my 2 cents into here... I don't think it's a good idea to press your headphones more tightly onto your ears. What that does is trap more of the bass and just force more sound into your ears instead of letting it sound natural. Headphones are not made for you to tighten them up onto your head; they're made to just put on and take off without having to customize for your own head.

Awesome, thanks for this reply. I figured as much, it's nice to hear some confirmation:)