Name of game(s) arranged:
        The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Name of arrangement:
        Severe Storm Warning
Name of individual song(s) arranged:
        Song of Storms

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

First of all, great synergy and performances between you all!  Everything sounds clean and tight, and there's some substantial attention to giving each instrument their own defined space in the mix.  It's not a perfect mixdown as I would've wanted the drums further front and with a pinch more emphasis on the snare, but I can roll with this setup down to the closeness of the live recording setup.

The arrangement, however, left me mixed.  The initial treatment of the source is fantastic - transforming this simple 6/8 melody into 4/4 and with a shift into advanced chords to suit the progression.  Even the last 45 seconds worked well with the Zelda theme cameos, plus a softer variant as part of the ending.  However, the entire stretch from 0:34-2:49 has no source whatsoever.  I get it - fun solos are a significant part of jazz, but the standards say that BGM must be dominant.  And with BGM accounting for only 35% of the running time at best, more needs to be done with the arrangement to lift that quota.

So here are some ideas I can think of to remedy this problem.  You could get new solos recorded there and packed with many different Zelda BGM cameos.  It could be possible to add another permutation of the primary source in-between the noodling.    Or you could change the accompaniment entirely in one of the solos to that of the chord progression for yoúr primary source.  I'd also be pleasantly surprised if you can think of any idea that I completely missed, so go nuts and see what works.

It's a track that I would've liked to have seen got posted thanks to its excellent first impression and powerful performances all around.  But if the remix is source light, I'm afraid I can't see it on the front page as it is.  It'll be nice to hear a new version with more BGM usage down the line, but for now, I hope you get the chance to send music over here again - I see potential here.

NO (resubmit)

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/12/05 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Severe Storm Warning"

Yeaaaaah, I had basically the same timestamping. The track was 3:37-long, so I needed to hear "Song of Storms" or other Zelda themes referenced for more than 108.5 seconds for the game music to dominate the arrangement. I'm certainly open to being shown other connections of course, but didn't recognize any.

:04-33.5, 2:49-3:25.5 = 66 seconds or 30.41% overt source usage

Reference the source material more than 50% of the duration of the track somehow, and the VGM source material is unmistakably "dominant" in the arrangement, per our Submission Standards. Anything less than that is an automatic NO-go for me no matter how good the composition or musicianship is; the primary focus must be on arranging VGM above all else.

4. Arrangement

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.
  • While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.
  • The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

Strong performances and the arranged parts were well-handled. Like Rexy mentioned, anything that could incorporate more "Song of Storms" or other Zelda theme references underneath the comping would be nice, something to keep the arrangement grounded in VGM. Awesome stuff, just falls outside of our arrangement standards due to the lack of source usage. Great to hear something new from Olarin along with these great collaborators. Would love to hear a revision of this or any new material you guys have in the works!

NO (resubmit) 

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/12/05 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Severe Storm Warning"

Gonna just quickly co-sign with my fellow Js.  Awesome jazz performances here!  Mixing works well.  The arrangement starts out super strong with Song of Storms, but dang, where did it go?  This arrangement really isn't a fit for OCR standards.  If you wanted to revisit it with more Song of Storms I think it would be a great addition to the site, but as it stands, there's just not enough source.  Cool listen though!

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2019/12/05 - (3N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Severe Storm Warning"