Celeste - Quiet and Falling - Downtempo/Industrial style remix

About the remix:

This is a remix of "Quiet and Falling" from Celeste. It's the song from the Mirror Temple. I had a lot of fun doing this one! The original is pretty cold and surreal, the B-side is downright funky, so I decided to take this in a direction different to the songs in the game. I also brought back an old pseudonym for the remix.

FL Studio 20 was used for both the song and the visualization on YouTube (via ZGameEditor Visualizer.) I incorporated a lot of "found sounds" - metal sheets, keys on a desk, all sorts of fun improvised percussion. The synthwork is Sytrus and Vanguard. The orchestral sounds came from Nexus.

Direct links:

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AysvIq409_CPTiiP8BrEcn6Io5fi9Jyw/view?usp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UeBfcCpzPecahj0LIApEkq6M6lOCt65b/view?usp=sharing

Social links:

I considered submitting this to OCR, and I'd like to know what y'all think. Is it a good candidate?

Thanks for listening~

Edited by SaxxonPike

On 6/9/2020 at 2:43 AM, SaxxonPike said:

I considered submitting this to OCR, and I'd like to know what y'all think. Is it a good candidate?

In short - yes!

Here's the source, for anyone interested:

I really like the textures and detail in the percussion, and you've got some good synths working in the mix. It's a good groove, and it's mixed such that you can push the compression to give it that loud, industrial sound without it becoming muddy or grating to the ears.

I'd say it could perhaps do with a little more dynamic range to accentuate the drops and chorus sections, and personally I'd like some more exploration of a stronger melody line, but what you have here is solid and well produced, with enough variation to keep me interested throughout. Nice job, good luck with the judges :)

This is really great! The groove is strong and the sound design complements the original while decisively stepping up the energy a notch.

One critique I have is that the leads are getting eaten up in the overall mix - your melody lines are all there and they sound great, but the backbeat sounds like it's mixed much higher than the leads and doesn't give them enough breathing room. If you are planning on submitting this, I would recommend addressing that first. DarkSim also brought up a good point that the dynamic range between the verses and chorus could be a little more pronounced. 

Really enjoyable listen even in its current form - I think it has a bit of room for improvement but I do hope you submit this eventually :) We need more Celeste representation on OCR!