Email: 
User#: 36070

Submission info:
Game: Undertale
Arrangement: The King of All Monsters
Song name: Asgore
Original composer: Toby Fox
Original song link:

Comments: I just really feel like this is a great song that everyone who ever played undertale. I wanted to make it into a track you can dance to, while still keeping the original feel.

I hope you guys enjoy and add it to your site, I been a long time fan for over 10 years. I been making video game music for just as long and finally decided to submit something.

Thanks for you time, 

Deion

Things start up with a side-chained piano that first leads us into a fake drop, and then the actual drop. The main theme is featured strongly. Glitchiness and reverse notes come at 1:42, with piano re-entering soon after. The side-chaining here starts to wear a little thin, but drops away at about the right time. Production wise, some parts sound a little thin, but I’d definitely prefer this over a clouded muddy soundscape. Stereo space is used well. The arrangement is fairly straightforward, with the mix leaning into note adaptations as opposed to full-blown original sections. I think things work out ok here for the most part. I would’ve liked to hear some original interpretations of the theme to break things up a bit. Due to the focus on the main theme things do get a bit repetitive, but I wasn’t completely off it by the end of the duration, which I think is a good sign. Let’s see what the other J’s think. Good luck.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/04/24 - (1Y) Undertale "Asgore"
  • 3 months later...

Opens up with the pump in full effect. Definitely liking the sound of this right off the bat. Small criticism, but the bass kick that came in at :34 felt both hollow and too loud; would have liked a thicker sound to give this more punch, but no big deal.

Nice instrumentation at 1:25 and 2:00; I always enjoy hearing Undertale music using sounds I've not heard in other arrangements (given how many of them are out there).

Solid sounds & textures as well as good dynamic contrast throughout to keep things fresh. I see Jivemaster's point on the melodic repetition, but like him wasn't bothered by it enough to feel this wasn't developed enough or wouldn't be a pass here. It could have been more energetic, but that's just a personal preference thing and a contrast with the energy of the source. This is a nice take on it; welcome, Deion!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/04/24 - (2Y) Undertale "Asgore"

tons of melodic content right away, so that's clearly not going to be a problem here. there's an absolute brick wall for a limiter on this, but i don't hear any distortion as a result, so i'm inclined to give that a pass. the initial section with the whole band at 0:34 was real solid and fun to listen to. starting at 1:42 there's a repeating pitch in the right ear that's really annoyingly loud compared to everything else and it keeps going for nearly a minute, which i found to be really not something i liked. i did like what else was going on during this section, though, notably the variety of instrumentation and the space that everything had to do its own thing.

there's a recap at 3:08 which is still enjoyable to listen to and hasn't gotten old despite being essentially the entire song. the outro is a nice shift and does a good job winding it down in a way that made sense.

this is pretty competent from start to finish. i like it.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/04/24 - (3Y) Undertale "Asgore"

Your selection of segments to interpret seems interesting - you based the entire groove based on its B and D sections, only going into the A section at 4:02 while closing out.  You kept the textural shaping varied throughout, with the hard side-chain intro, the established four-on-the-floor groove at 0:34, the calm at 1:25, the fast pushing kicks in the pad-heavy section at 1:43, the drop to the kick drum and whole-note bass at 2:34, the closure from 2:51 onwards reprising the intro, and the calm piano wind-down ending from 4:02.  This track relies more on backing arrangement and pattern shaping more than the melodies - something very unusual for Toby Fox's compositions while also shaping such a suspenseful original in a calming light.

What made me go back and forth, however, was the recapitulation at 2:51.  For the next 70 seconds, it repeats everything from 0:17 onward, almost note for note.  Thankfully, the chill section before the drop at 3:08 had a minor textural variation with the white noise sweep and more further cymbal prominence, and the groove-based variation utilized different transitions.  And 3:42 onwards dropped the keyboard part while its counterpart at 1:08 kept it in play.  So after combing through, I saw past the repetition and saw some subtle textural adjustments that rightfully justify the writing on display.

The mixdown isn't bad either - a little on the quiet side for EDM, but the limiter's limit parameter is the main reasoning for that.  Despite all this, I hear clarity among the parts, they're all balanced well, and the way the pad and backing synths weave back and forth through the mix gives it the engaging soundscape it needed.  I also felt the low impact on the kick drum, as Larry pointed out - it sounded like you chose only one low-mid-influenced sample and stuck with it.  For future works, think about going for a layered kick if you return to this style.  You may find a layer with some sub-bass boom, another with some defined sibilance, or combine multiple characteristics of either.  It's worth experimenting and seeing what happens.

As it stands, the track feels so melodically minimal, but the writing underneath provides the technical prowess and the source interpretation needed to carry it over the bar. Excellent debut there, Deion!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04189 - *YES* Undertale "The King of All Monsters"
  • Rexy locked this topic