*NO* Mega Man 2 "Password"

Rexy

Hello!  Here's a full-band rock/metal cover I released this week of the ultra-catchy "Password" song from Mega Man 2.  The entire MM2 soundtrack is great, but for some reason this little jingle always stood out to me the most.  The source material is just a short loop under 10 seconds long, so I've added some structure to the arrangement and added my own guitar solo as well.  

My name is Kyle Schaefer, my band/solo project is called Archaeologist, and my forum ID is 35718.  Here are some links to my website and Facebook page: 

Thank you very much for listening!  Please let me know if you need any more info or links from me!

Edited by prophetik music

Wow, this is a pretty cool arrangement of such a short track, and the production/performances are pretty spot on, to boot. It is a short track, though - very short, at 0:53 - so while there's no hard rule against this the rule of thumb to follow is to make sure the song sounds like a completed idea without any fluff.

For a track of such length there is quite a bit of repeated material that pads the length a little bit (0:00 - 0:06 & 0:07 - 0:13, 0:13 - 0:19 & 0:19 - 0:25). I understand the approach, and normally wouldn't be this picky on thematic repetitions that are so short, but considering the length of the song in it's entirety this is more than 25% of the track dedicated to directly repeated material.

That isn't to say that to "fix" this you should add variation or whatnot to sections like that - by design, those short repetitions make the theme sound more established and defined. This simply demonstrates the downside of providing such a short track - because the arrangement spends so much relative time establishing the source, the listener is led to expect something more substantial from the arrangement rather than having the track flame out at 0:53.

This track feels like a great idea that isn't quite finished yet - the material in the middle of the track sounded like a fantastic expansion of the source, and to be honest the track sounds like it could really build off of such arrangement ideas into something that sounds more fulfilling (which if you add to this arrangement I'd love to see it back here). For what it's worth I enjoyed the heck out of it regardless, even if I was looking for more given what was here. Keep at it, and hopefully this doesn't discourage you since you've got some real arranging and performing chops on display here!

NO

• Gario changed the title to 2020/10/28 - (1N) Mega Man 2 "Password"
  • 1 month later...

Gario nailed it - this is a fantastic take on the source, but less than a minute simply doesn't give you enough time to substantially expand on the concept presented. If this were double the length (obviously without direct copy/pasting) so this could feel like more of a fully-developed musical idea, it's an easy pass - your guitar chops and the way you've expanded on such a short melody so far are A+. No shade intended to you as a musician, just that this doesn't feel substantial enough for the standards that we've established for OCRemix. Hope to hear more from you in the future!!

NO

Edited by Emunator

• Emunator changed the title to 2020/10/28 - (2N) Mega Man 2 "Password"
  • 2 weeks later...