Emunator

Your ReMixer name: Pixel Pirates
Your real name: Tobaunta Torkelsson & Fredrik Vinterstjärna
Your email address:
Your website: pixelpirates.nu
Your userid: 37469 

Name of game(s) arranged: Megaman X2
Name of arrangement: Pixelman X2
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Zero's Theme - Flame Stag - X-Hunter Fortress - Dr. Cain's Lab - Opening Theme - Wire Sponge's - Ending Theme

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: Just like I did with Megaman X I did a medley style with my favorite songs from Megaman X2. This is more of a bonus song to the first song so it is a lot of re-used sounds from there. Its all up to personal preference if you like first or second more.

When I saw this many sources for a 3 minute long arrangement, I had a pretty good idea in my head about what issues might be present here. However, I actually feel like you did a great job weaving the songs together without feeling like a pasted-together medley. My actual gripe with this remix is simply the lack of textural variety in the sounds - even some of the stock sound effects are reused multiple times throughout the arrangement. The beats are static as well without a lot of nuance in terms of fills or progression. 

:47 feels like the melody skips a beat by accident, is this just an oversight? Also, the ending fadeout feels super lazy :(

There's a fantastic melodic arrangement here, but the synth design and production details simply aren't there. 

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/08/15 - (1N) Mega Man X2 "Pixelman X2"

I don't agree with Emu at all: this does feel like a pasted-together medley.  The transitions are abrupt and even change keys sometimes.  There's not a lot of transformation, either; the sources are more or less transcribed verbatim.  And of course the ending just fades prematurely, not even on a loop.

In addition to the textures never changing, they aren't great to begin with; this buzzy, bland lead wouldn't be a good choice even if it were used only briefly.  And the kick is extremely loud and boomy.

I encourage you to hit up our workshop forums for advice going forward.  It doesn't do you or us a lot of good to submit a bunch of remixes to us that all have the same issues.  On our forums, you can get tailored feedback faster and iterate more, rather than waiting months to get a full panel vote.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/08/15 - (2N) Mega Man X2 "Pixelman X2"
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm hearing a lot of the same issues with the last track of yours i judged (Pixelman X). there is a lack of personalization and transformative arrangement for each track - they're just transcribed with the slightest bits of change here and there, with no thought to a cohesive whole. there's the same transitional synth used repeatedly (and it is not an enjoyable sound, it's not even in the right key half the time). there's the same synth leads used for each song, which gets fatiguing even if it was a strong arrangement. the drums are bog-standard and boring. the mastering is loud and aggressive and to the detriment of the track. the ending is a fadeout with a poor volume curve so there's a cutoff still at the end that's very auditble. total lack of QC there.

any of the above issues are enough for me to not pass this. all of them together shows a lack of feedback gathering and application. please use the workshop to get feedback, and act on that feedback. this is a disappointing track to listen to since we've heard some great stuff from you in past submissions - this just feels extremely unfinished.

NO