Twisted Systerz, Mara and Nara theme remix

Audiomancer

This is another attempt at this tune. My computer died, so I arranged it on Caustic 3 on my phone, and by the time I got done with it, my PC was back up and running, and I did a final pass on it. I tried to take the judges' feedback into consideration, and I believe this take is less dense, I changed the percussion a bit (the high hats..I eliminated the closed hats, because when I tried using varying samples, it sounded like paper clips going at it in a pop can), and I used a loudness meter to try to get it at -14 LUFS. Doing that left a bit of headroom, and it seems soft....perhaps others will be able to tell me if that is so. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1snZRLPQfAVf2hp9aSCpZldtlNI06dGJd/view?usp=share_link

Edited by Audiomancer

Thank you for adding the source, I suspected it was that track but I'm not as familiar with DWIV so I just wanted to double check that first.

Evaluation:

Arrangement feels fine, don't need to comment on that.

This one is tough because of the production, also I haven't heard the previous version to be able to compare after reading the judge's previous decisions.  From 0:00-1:24 the sub-bass/bass is completely indistinguishable because the acid arp is covering it up so much.  I could be mistaken and the sub that I'm hearing around 60-65hz there is actually a part of the acid arp, but it's hard to say without seeing the actual stems and notation.  This could be due to a few different things, and it's going to be up to you to figure out what is causing this.  Some thoughts as to what might be covering it up or effecting it in this way: the acid arp has a lot of stereo presence, consider making it less narrow or even mono and other parts will cut through the mix better.  The acid arp could just be taking up too much of the space in the same range as the bass, moving it up an octave might remedy this (probably not recommended unless absolutely necessary).

There's also a lot of headroom in the mix, it barely peaked at -6db.  You definitely can bring that up for more volume.

This is close to being in a good spot, and the style feels like a throwback to the 2000s; pretty cool.  Like the judges said before this is very dense, and could definitely use some cleaning up (mostly the acid arp being the biggest offender). Let me know if you need any clarification.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

Here's the update!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10UJIB4lWUjxxYRQdVgHicA4VQ7QxG-lk/view?usp=drivesdk

So I altered the bass by separating the acid sounding arp from the meat of the bass, they were indeed one instrument. The main bass is now two triangle waves, one an octave higher than the other. The NES used those for it's bass channel, I figure it might be because of fewer harmonics to interfere with other instruments? I altered the decay and sustain to try to bring more punch to the instrument without increasing it's volume. I also brought it to mono. The acid sounding instrument is now separate, and I lowered the lower frequencies of it as well as adding a high pass filter. Also, I filtered some of the lower frequencies from other instruments in the arrangement. Hopefully some of this helps, and thanks ahead of time!

Edited by Audiomancer

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!