*NO* Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Hyrule's Hopes"

Liontamer

Hello everyone,
this is my version of the main theme of "tears of the kingdom".
Thanks

Link to my submission : 

Re Mixer : Onirik Dreamer
email : 
Link of vidéoclip : 
user id : 38210

Name of game arranged : The legend of Zelda, Tears of the kingdom
Name of original track : Main Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Composer : Manaka Kataoka Yasuaki Iwata Hajime Wakai Takuro Yasuda Riyu Tamura Soshi Abe
Arranged : Manaka Kataoka Yasuaki Iwata Hajime Wakai Kosuke Yamashita)
Name of my track : Hyrule's hopes
Additional information about game : 2023 (SWITCH)
Link to the original soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yuKMCPzokA&t=2s
Your own comments about the mix : I love this piece, so beautiful and intricate. I modestly tried to make a more personal and electronic version.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

What an awesome concept!  The theme is well represented here, plus some brief cameos from the OG Zelda theme, great idea!

I like the instrumentation generally, the drums and bass sound good, backing synth arps and sfx also sound very good.  The leads are a weak point in my opinion, they don't do much, no filter movement or anything interesting.  The arrangement feels very stagnant once it gets started, as the heavy bass and beat never change throughout the entire piece with the exception of a couple of two-second breaks.  There is a transition that feels extremely awkward, it appears twice, at 1:22 and again at 2:32.  In the source tune, that transition happens in two beats, but in this arrangement it stretches over four beats and is preceded by a very awkward one-beat pause.

The sections of this track seem to be repeated verbatim with no writing, drumbeat/groove or instrument changes and that's too much repetition for me.  In addition, this arrangement really needs at least one lengthy breakdown to cool down the energy, 20-30 seconds would get the job done.

The mixing sounds adequate to me, although the primary lead timbre has most of its highs panned right, either that or my left ear is failing me.  Mastering seems fine.

I love this theme and this remix concept, but more arrangement work needs to be done to keep it interesting.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/09/04 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Hyrule's Hopes"

intro 15 seconds sound great, and the initial groove that you hit at 0:16 sounds great. the initial melodic material at 0:31 sounds pretty weak, though, both not loud enough to draw your ear and far too sustained with nothing to hold your ear after the initial notes. they're also panned right which is weird for a lead.

there's a few key changes throughout that are not really what i'd expect to hear at any point. i'm not sure what the idea was - downward key changes are generally discouraged because they reduce energy rather than adding it, and that's what they do here. i agree with kris also that having the same beat on the entire track with no break in the chorded synth isn't really a good choice. the best anthem tracks have breaks, swells, builds, and falling action, and none of that is represented here. it's just the melody in a straight line in a string/winds combo synth that never changes with a beat under it, and then it ends. there's some fun cameo ideas but overall nothing to hold your ear nor make me want to listen again. this needs more arrangement.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/09/04 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Hyrule's Hopes"
  • 2 weeks later...

The opening beats that faded in sounded on the weaker side, but I did immediately like the overall energy behind this. I'm not sure what about this mixing isn't working; right now, the clubby beats are so much louder over the melody, though it can be a stylistic thing. The quick transition at 1:38 was kind of awkward, but still OK in my opinion. I didn't mind the downward key change at all. Nice extended SFX from 1:39-1:59, though I wish you didn't use it verbatim again at 2:49, as that was a great spot to present that same kind of warbling sound effects idea with some differences.

By 2:18 though, I'm thinking you've got to vary up these 90's style club beats, they're dragging out with their writing being so repetitive during all of the verses, which was undermining the dyanmic contrast you were otherwise attempting with your textures and SFX.

The club approach is very cool, Karim, and well in the right direction of handling this source tune with personalized interpretation. However, as the other judges have said, you need more variation in the writing and textures; I'm confident you can do it, my friend!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Hyrule's Hopes"