User id: 38384

Game: Final Fantasy IX (Square, 2000)
Arrangement: Dragon's Crest
Song Arranged: Freya's Theme
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Game system: Playstation 1
Game genre: RPG
DAW used: LMMS

About the remix: I am very fond of ambient music. Inspired by Robert Fripp and Brian Eno's works on tape looping, I decided to make a rendition of Freya's Theme that transcends the realms of music, a song that goes through the listener's ears and brings him upon a floating cloud of noise.The instruments blend with the song as the track goes on and becomes one with the universe's essence.

The track is named after a Freya move in the game, called Dragon's Crest. It is a very powerful attack and only the most skilled and dedicated players can learn how to achieve it. Speaking of Freya, she is one of my favorite characters from the FF series, her story is tragic yet with a glimpse of hope, and I also like her music theme and I thought to myself "why not make a remix of that cool track?"

I hope you enjoy it, and have a nice day!
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

outside of a few tiny spikes, this has 4-5db of headroom.

extended fade-in, as expected based on the description. the pad used has a very long tail, at least six seconds based on the duration of chord change overlap. around 1:15 i start to hear some monophonic elements under the pad but they're very quiet. the chord patterns may indeed mirror freya's theme, but they aren't particularly apparent if so. the chord at roughly 3:00 is pretty aggressively discordant. this goes on through obtuse chord changes until the 6 minute mark when it starts to fade out. interesting that the only rhythmic element in the entire piece shows up at the end there.

there is nothing here that ties to freya's theme in a fashion i can identify without a breakdown from the artist. this is just a pile of (pretty heavily filtered) pads playing various chords. maybe i need a planetarium to grasp it further.

edit: it's not obvious with my initial writeup, but i want to call out that i actually really enjoy the track as a conceptual backing work to something else. ultimately though we're a remix site, so if i can't tie it to freya's theme, i can't vote yes ultimately. if there's something i'm missing, i'm happy to reconsider.

NO

Edited by prophetik music
clarification

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/09/11 - (1N) Final Fantasy 9 "Dragon's Crest"
On 9/26/2023 at 7:50 AM, prophetik music said:

there is nothing here that ties to freya's theme in a fashion i can identify without a breakdown from the artist. this is just a pile of (pretty heavily filtered) pads playing various chords. maybe i need a planetarium to grasp it further.

Apologies, Janet; it'll come off as me hating the track; quoting prophetik to co-sign his POV. This is totally fine as an ambient soundscape with subtle textural changes, but it's not a substantive arrangement of Freya's theme. This would need some melodious content to more overtly tie to it to the source theme. Cool in a vacuum, but it can't pass our arrangement standards for identifiable and dominant usage of the source material. Been a Children of the Monkey Machine fan since I was a newbie fan; we're open to avant garde stuff... as long as the other aspects of the Standards with the arrangement and production are met. :-)

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/09/11 - (2N) Final Fantasy 9 "Dragon's Crest"
  • 4 weeks later...

Same. If I close my eyes and use my imagination real hard, I can make out some vague connections to the source material, maybe. But calling it a stretch would be an understatement. We're looking for things where the connection to the source material is much more easily evident than this.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/11 - *NO* Final Fantasy 9 "Dragon's Crest"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Final Fantasy 9 "Dragon's Crest"