OCR04594 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, SS, ALttP, ALBW, OoS, Minish & TP "Sun and Mist"

Liontamer

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

https://www.youtube.com/@RebeccaETripp/videos
ID: 48262
Game(s): Skyward Sword, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Oracle of Seasons, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess
Song Title: Sun and Mist
Songs Remixed: Faron Woods (SS), Lost Woods (LttP), Minish Woods (MC), Sacred Grove (TP), Lost Woods (OoT), Tarm Ruins (OoS), Lost Woods (ALBW), Forest Temple (OoT)
Here's a link to the whole medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0I9rmeEyU
Here's a link to the file: 

This Legend of Zelda forest medley is my gift to you all!  It contains most of the forest and woods themes from the LoZ series.  I had the help of three amazing performers in this arrangement, including Gamer of the Winds on flute and piccolo, Medlix on oboe, and Steven Higbee on ocarina.  I highly recommend checking out their channels, as they've all produced many beautiful tracks!  Here are links to their works:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GameroftheWinds/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/Medllix/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/StevenHigbee/videos

From YouTube:
6:44 Faron Woods (SS)
8:11 Lost Woods (LttP)
9:20 Minish Woods (MC)
9:54 Sacred Grove (TP)
10:10 Saria's Song (OoT)
10:54 Tarm Ruins (OoS)
12:00 Deeper into the Lost Woods (ALBW)
12:50 Forest Temple (OoT)

It's definitely a medley, but it all flows together nicely. If it weren't a medley, each individual section might be borderline on interpretation; they're all presented in a very straightforward way. The orchestration is good but conservative. There's no question about source usage whatsoever; I recognize all but a couple instantly.

Not Rebecca's most realistic instrument usage. It's right about where our bar is, I think. Definitely not good enough to fool even the most casual listen. It mostly doesn't grate on my nerves, but a lot of that is because it's so conservative that to me it sounds like a sound upgrade over the original 16- or 64-bit material. There are some string sections that are awfully mechanical, one of which is at the very end, so it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

0:27-0:33 has this weird instrument that sounds like a lawn sprinkler. If that were present more than the 4 times I hear it (1 of them quiet), I'd consider counting it as a dealbreaker. It sounds like an artifact or other mistake. The rain stick, while identifiable, is also mixed quite loud, and that appears more than a few times; the tambourine isn't much better.

This is very borderline for me. I like the arrangement a lot, but we've sent back remixes with realism issues right about where this one is. I'll see what others have to say.

Edit: Eh, good enough. It doesn't bother me unless I'm specifically looking for it.

YES

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/24 - (1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, ALttP, OoT, ALBW, Oracle of Seasons, Minish & TP "Sun and Mist"

Definitely a medley, but I agree with MW that it flows well enough to sound cohesive.  I also agree that the realism isn't perfect, but it works well enough for me.  I don't hear anything jumping out as too awkward.  That "lawn sprinkler" thing is weird though, and the rain stick is annoying to me, especially since it is hard-panned to the right.  I do not like hard panning, generally. 

I am enjoying the sweet forest atmosphere and birds.  This is a lovely romp through Hyrule forest and I recognize every source, they all fit perfectly with this theme.  The instrumentation is well-varied, whimsical and lighthearted.

The mixing is working well, and the mastering is closer to what I would consider normal than Rebecca's previous submissions.  My only real gripe is that rain stick, why did it need to live loudly on the right side?  If this mix doesn't pass as-is, I would request that the rain stick either be replaced (at least a few of them), and/or mixed more quietly and centered.  Other than that, I really like this one.  It holds my interest all the way through and feels very good to my soul!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/09/24 - (1Y/1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, ALttP, OoT, ALBW, Oracle of Seasons, Minish & TP "Sun and Mist"

it's not clear to me why we didn't get the full 16-minute arrangement.

the sound at 0:27 is sfx for a cicada, i think.

i agree with chimpa that this is whimsical - that's an excellent word to use for this. i'm not going to timestamp this like i usually do because it's so long and it'd just be reductive, but in general i land closer to chimpa's perspective of the realism and approach. i think that the handling of percussion and winds for the most part lifts the string realization enough for it to be fine. i think there's too much panning, especially the rainstick (thanks kris, now i can't unhear it). the tambourine is mixed how i'd expect it to sound in a live orchestra, so actually i think that's OK. i think that the arrangement itself is conservative, but there's more here than just transcribing for an orchestral setting, and the themes flow together really well (far better than i expected given the previous votes) - the only awkward one is at 6:41 in the winds.

i also think i like this track much more than recent RET arrangements. there's some more character here than usual that's not just the excellent originals. it's certainly not perfect but is very enjoyable to me.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/24 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, ALttP, OoT, ALBW, Oracle of Seasons, Minish & TP "Sun and Mist"

Issues first: 1:04-1:06 sounded like a honking noise out of nowhere. The string decay at 6:19 was the only major point where I scratched my head at how hugely and needlessly exposed the samples were. The strings were probably the biggest drawback when it comes to realism, so I do wish Rebecca's could find ways to raise that up.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:44 PM, MindWanderer said:

Not Rebecca's most realistic instrument usage. It's right about where our bar is, I think. Definitely not good enough to fool even the most casual listen.

No, it won't fool listeners, but our bar doesn't require realism, just a reasonable semblance of it (juggled with creative writing, good sound design, and/or musicianship), so I disagree that the soundset Rebecca's cultivated and used is close to the line. It's not just about the sounds but how they're used. Way more often than not, Tripp doesn't fall, even if we perceive a stumble. ;-)

I didn't have any problem with the panning or mixing, and the medley structure also flowed well. I always dig Rebecca's style; she always leaves her telltale mark on things, and that's a testament to her sound palette. Let the birds loose, let the rainstick flow! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04594 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, SS, ALttP, ALBW, OoS, Minish & TP "Sun and Mist"
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2023/09/24) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, SS, ALttP, ALBW, OoS, Minish & TP "Sun and Mist"
  • Liontamer locked this topic