OCR04655 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "Tell Me... Why?"

Liontamer

Well, I think the first thing I should probably address is that, this is more along the lines of a cover and I am not sure it is transformative enough. In fact, I probably wouldn't submit it if I wasn't so happy with how it turned out as is. I tried going back to it over the past two years to see how I can expand or change things but nothing really ever came to mind. I remember seeing a track by someone recently that had a comment along the lines of "Not everything has to be for OCR, and maybe that's fine." Or something like that. And maybe that's the case here but I am not a judge and I wanted others opinions to speak for themselves! Anywho,

Some things of note, I submitted another track from FFVIII this year (I promise to try and branch out in 2024 lol) that incorporated thunder and rain. This is the first track I actually tried experimenting with using it as sort of an instrument or a pad so to say. I'm imagining the scene this comes from, after the dance and SeeD fiasco, but its a rainy day and Quistis (mah gurl) just confessing and oof. The beauty of it all. This is probably also where I began using vocal overlays a bit more and sort of using it as a trademark of mine. Sometimes I'm self conscious about that but oh well, I like what I like. This is also rather short which is problematic from a transformative standpoint but I liked that I squeezed a bunch of different kinds of sounds that I enjoy in a tight space.

Anyway, sorry for the long post for such a short little piece. Again, its not the most transformative thing I've submitted but I'm okay with that. As always, I'm just happy to hear back from others and continue to improve. And who knows, maybe with some more inspiration I'll find what I need to change this up some more, but if not, its been a pleasure little track of mine.

Artist Name: H36T

Games & Sources:

Final Fantasy VIII

Nobuo Uematsu

Tell Me

arpeggio is in the piano right off the bat, much slower. really introspective texture initially. melody comes in at 0:31 and is beautifully articulated and realized. the overlapping vocal lines in the background form an interesting pad as they fade in and out, and there's some nice suspensions in there too. the initial runthrough of the melody is done at 1:48, and we get some more three-note snippets until it's done.

the melodic representation here is articulated the same as the original and sounds very close to the original, so the artist is right - this is indeed pretty close to the original, but i don't think i'd call it a cover. the backing elements really flesh out some of the simple beauty of the melody line.

whenever i think of how to handle conservative arrangement, i have to approach it from the perspective of "does this say something different than the original". often covers are just spicy versions of the original track. i don't think that's the case here. think about how Death On The Snowfield feels so different from the original despite being very, very similar to the original's basic structure. in this case, you take a track that is easily described as earnest or hopeful and make a much more introspective, rainymood-ish version of it. while the melodic content and chords aren't different, the significant changes in instrumentation and realization added to the sfx really make for a new work.

this is pretty enjoyable. nice work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/30 - Final Fantasy 8 "Tell Me...Why?"

Death on the Snowfield is a great comparison. Superficially similar to the original, but with changed pacing and instrumentation that alter the entire mood. Sometimes less is more. A lead, an arp, and some tasteful pads and sfx are plenty to convey a mood and transform a theme. It's a little short, but I don't know how you'd lengthen it without it wearing out its welcome. This absolutely does everything it needs to.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/30 - Final Fantasy 8 "Tell Me... Why?"
  • 1 month later...

This is SO lovely.  As with the previous H36T submission I judged a few days ago, it's too damn short!!!  I could easily see this being twice this length, with something slow and contemplative in the middle, perhaps an impactful spoken or whispered vocal, followed by a section with some gentle yet groovy percussion.

BUT.... what's here is gorgeous.  It's a dreamy mood; I love the rain dripping and storm sfx and the luscious female vocal pads.  We'll take it.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04655 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "Tell Me... Why?"
  • Liontamer locked this topic