*NO* Super Mario RPG "Welcome to Booster Tower"

I went through a spell of arranging and remixing VGM as an exercise in new production techniques and experimenting with new sounds. I was really into sounds from the Juno-60 which I felt meshed well with this song. The track is equal parts whimsical and sort of dystopian which fits well with the sci-fi sounds of the Juno. This song understandably gets a lot of love and the arrangement itself is pretty faithful to the original. My goal was to retain the vibe with more "modern" (but distinctly 80s) instrumentation. 

Artist: breadbarn

Games & Sources

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES, 1996)
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Original song: 

Edited by Emunator

• prophetik music changed the title to 2024/01/25 - Super Mario RPG "Welcome to Booster Tower"

track has >5db of headroom and little dynamic contrast at first glance. would need a new name if it passes as well.

at first glance, this appears to be a palette swap. the notes appear to be pretty close to 1:1 outside of no drums. the synthesis concepts are interesting, but i'll note that the choices actually are a net negative overall for the work - the lead's quieter than the arpeggiating synth since the arp is so much brighter than the lead, as opposed to the opposite in the original, and the long release pads mean that there's some overlap on faster chord progressions. it also has no ending - it starts to fade out, but doesn't quite before it just stops.

this is not enough arrangement for our site, unfortunately. i think there's a real place for something with interesting juno-type synthesis here, but per 4.2 of our standards we need transformative arrangement. this is a cover and we don't take those unfortunately.

NO

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario RPG "Welcome to Booster Tower"
  • Emunator locked this topic