OCR04688 - *YES* Luigi’s Mansion "Hide & Seek"

Liontamer

Artist Name: Gaspode

This is a song that’s get every now and then stuck in my head. I had to remix it at some point, because I love the Luigi’s mansion games, especially part one and two. I tried to make a bigbeat-version (hope this is the correct term for this musical style), and integrated various sound-samples. My wife convinced my to exchange them with original samples from the game. This was a very funny process because there are videos on YouTube with all the ripped audio-data from the game only consisting of »Ah’s« and »Oh’s« with Luigis voice. By the way, I asked beforehand on discord if it’s okay to use the original voice samples (in the case of a release on OC Remix), which was confirmed. But when it’s a problem there is also a version without the samples available. Oh, and I used my own voice for the »impressive« whistle at the end. Of course it’s out of tune which fits the style of the original humming by Luigi. ;o)

Hope you have fun with this remix.

Games & Sources

Name of game(s) arranged: »Luigi’s Mansion«

Name of individual song(s) arranged: »Main Theme«

i have never heard this original and it's hilarious. and it's the main theme! sometimes nintendo still manages to capture their old magic.

big funky beat to start out. there's some sfx but it takes a while to get to some of the material of the original. i didn't notice anything that was close to luigi until 0:39, and more realistically 0:59. i do like the space in this entire no-beat section, there's a lot of air in the compositional concepts. the main theme over the beat is great - what a weird lead, it works great. the ghosty lead right after it is fun too.

there's a drum break section starting at 1:56 through 2:14, and then we get some noodly spooky stuff until the main theme comes back at 2:34. this is probably my favorite part of the remix. i agree the whistle is indeed iMpReSsiVe. sampled ending and we're done.

what a fun idea! and well-realized. my main concern was that there was enough actual remix material in here since much of the remix was open beats without much melodic content. i recognized material from 0:59 to 1:56 and 2:14 to 3:13, which is about 57%. so we're good there. with that in mind, this is definitely a pass. super fun take on a silly original, and there's a lot of interesting ideas in the drum work throughout. excellent job.

YES

• 1 month later...

I never realized before that the original source from the first game has Luigi's voice different in every loop. That's so much fun.

I appreciate the transformations you did to the drum samples to keep things fresh without being schizophrenic, and the changes in sound palette were a lot of fun. The overall theme is a little canned and synthetic, and I would have appreciated a more acoustic sound when possible, but it does the job. The whistles go a long way to help this, in the ending. Even the snaps help.

I agree with Larry that it's a very slow build; there's no identifiable source at all until 0:42 (other than the Luigi voice sample, which is a big hint at what's to come). Otherwise I didn't have any concerns with there being enough source usage, although the breakdown from 1:56-2:14 doesn't really go with the rest of the piece, and was the most canned-sounding part of all.

I wouldn't mind a less obviously-electronic take on this, but I think it's serviceable as-is.

YES

Edited by MindWanderer

Fun sound palette that feels way out of your wheelhouse to start this off, but once we get to the meat of the arrangement this settles more into the kind of territory I've come to expect from Gaspode. Not a lot to say about this. While I was initially confused by MindWanderer's implication about wanting it to be more "acoustic" and less "electronic," I think I get what he's getting at. I also found the percussive and sampled elements to be the most enjoyable part of this, and found the synths to be a little static and unexpressive compared to that. The synths simply don't match the same level of energy or swing as the rest of the instruments. All that said, it comes together in the end and forms a package that's quite clearly over our bar.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04688 - *YES* Luigi’s Mansion "Hide & Seek"
  • Emunator locked this topic