• Your ReMixer name: ThePlasmas
  • Your real name: Mauricio Castro
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website(s):  https://linktr.ee/theplasmasvgm
  • Your userid: 30081
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Perfect Dark
  • Name of arrangement: Datadyne Global HQ
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Datadyne Central: Defection
  • Additional information about the game: Graeme Norgate, N64.
  • Link to the original soundtrack: 

• Your own comments about the mix:  I loved GoldenEye 64 so much that I really wanted a sequel. However, when the 007 franchise was taken by another studio, and then RARE announced the beginning of a new franchise called "Perfect Dark," I just couldn't let it pass. I almost begged my mom to buy it. She liked the design of the protagonist and watched me play the game every chance she could.  This song was recorded to participate in the "Summer of 64" event produced by GameGrooves, available here: https://theplasmasvgm.bandcamp.com/album/64-ways-to-die

wall of sound to begin. the synth stuff going on is hard to hear in the beginning. 0:41 is where the full band comes in. the arpeggio is in the lead guitar initially (a little surprising the drums didn't ape the original's rhythmic elements), and that moves into the 'melody' of the original which really isn't much of a melody. it stays balls to the wall for a while as it maneuvers through the original's theme elements. i liked how the oboe and bassoon's melodic material in the original was handled in the guitar here.

we finally get a break at 2:24, really just from the beat as it's still going pretty strong. there's another tom groove coming out of this section, and we finally get a texture change when we get some harmony in the lead guitars. this guitar tone is both really loud and doesn't appear to have much room sound on it so it doesn't quite settle into the texture like the first one did.

3:27 has the melodic line in a lower octave with the faster arpeggiated line above it layered in. most of this section is recap of material from earlier without significants change to how it's presented, especially 4:00. there's a build at 4:32 and then we get one more short section of rawk before it's done. ending is a bit sudden.

there's not a lot of dynamic contrast in this overall - it's pretty heavy the whole way through. that said, i think overall the mixing and mastering sounds good and only has a few nitpicks about how it's handled, and the arrangement does a decent job handling the (pretty non-melodic) source material in a way that's recognizable and isn't just a cover. so this is a pass by me.

YES

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely full as others have mentioned previously, but not so full that it's muddy or a chaos of cacophony.

My main criticism of this is any time there is synth elements being used they are very thin and flimsy, making them have a hard time to have any presence or cut through the dense mix. 3:12-3:27 is the clearest we can hear the synths throughout the piece. I suggest layering the synth or using saturation to help it cut through more. This is by no means any issue to me at all, I just want to make a suggestion for possible use in future works.

There could have been a bigger dynamic contrast for the sparser sections, but there is at least some semblance of a contrast with slightly lighter texture during them. The arrangement is pretty standard, but gets the job done with plenty of ThePlasmas guitar goodness injected. I'd say you took a pretty forgetful source and spiced it up into something more musical and entertaining rather than filler background music.

YES

• Hemophiliac changed the title to 2024/02/23 - *YES - TAG* Perfect Dark "Datadyne Global HQ"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04685 - *YES* Perfect Dark "dataDyne Global HQ"