OCR04682 - *YES* Streets of Rage "Twin Fire"

starts off with a chippy bass tone and a solid kick. the arpeggiated octave bass is a tie to the original right away. melodic elements right away are in the sidechained lead. big build into 0:57's hit. this section is pretty loud but the limiter's doing what it's supposed to, so while it's heavily squished it isn't clipping. there's another drop right after this at 1:31 that is welcome after how wall-to-wall the previous section was, and the bass here is fun.

there's another build up - 1:58-2:11 sound like the same as the earlier section, but there's a different (and also good) build into 2:21's big hit. the melody here's clear again and it's a different set of backing elements from the last time that this came around, so that's good. elements drop out after the 3:00 mark in order and then it's done.

this is a solid take. the super-heavy sections at 0:57 and 2:21 may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i think they sound fine and i'm able to pick out the parts going on, so i think that's pretty well done. it's certainly an adaptive take on the original and it's got good energy. nice work.

YES

The overall sound felt somewhat washed out and imbalanced, but it's not a dealbreaker, especially when contrasted to the spirited arrangement. I liked the lil' nods to "Fighting in the Street" at the very beginning at :12 & :16.

Around 1:55, I was looking for something different in the treatment, hoping there wouldn't be a huge cut-and-paste, but thankfully it didn't wind up that way after 2:11. Love the grimy energy here, just like prophetik did! :-)

YES

• 1 month later...

Nice tone. The slightly shrill leads began to grate on my nerves by the end of the second main section, and I would have preferred some sort of change there to keep things fresh. The bass blaat noises sound a little bitcrushed. But overall this sounds great and does everything it sets out to do.

YES

Absolute joy here, Streets of Rage has such an awesome soundtrack. You've certainly done the 90s club vibes from Koshiro justice with this interpretation.

I can see why MindWanderer felt that the lead can get very bright and shill at the end of the section, but you change it up and go somewhere else just when it's starting to get that way for me. You have a good sense about when to go somewhere else, and I appreciate that.

The thing that I absolutely loved in this was the low brassy synth blats that start at 1:00. At first I thought they were brass samples, but It seems like there's some subtle filter opening on them just after their attack. Very cool choice and they fit right into the soundscape. Nice work.

YES

• Hemophiliac changed the title to 2024/03/01 - *YES - TAG* Streets of Rage "Twin Fire"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04682 - *YES* Streets of Rage "Twin Fire"