OCR04681 - *YES* Ecco: The Tides of Time (GEN) "Two Tides (Sin City Mix)"

Artist Name: MkVaff

While I was coming up with some ideas for more recent arrangements, I re-listened to the original Ecco the Dolphin soundtrack. It had some interesting music, but then I remembered that the game had a sequel on Genesis that I never had the chance to play. After checking out the music in "The Tides of Time," I was very impressed with several of the tracks, and I was surprised by the overall complexity and quality of some of the songs on the track list. The music for the "Two Tides" stage in particular jumped out to me as having a solid, laid-back beat and some great synth sections.

I incorporated elements of trap music for this remix, as I wanted it to have a chill, moody, "underground" feel to it. Some of the Ecco music is pretty epic and dramatic, so I added some brassy synths in the later melody to add some excitement and to incorporate some of the "bigger" feeling of some of the songs in the Genesis Ecco soundtracks.

While I've recently covered some classics from Zelda, Chrono Trigger, and the Final Fantasy series, I decided to submit this particular piece because it seemed like such a hidden gem from a soundtrack that I don't often hear in discussions compared to the more popular games that are known for their music. It was my very first time actually listening to the music from The Tides of Time, and I wanted to highlight some of the interesting, excellent material in that soundtrack.

Hope you enjoy!

Games & Sources

Ecco: The Tides of Time (Genesis / MD)

opens with some pingpong backing synths and a nice sweep effect that's fitting given the source material's locale. beat drops at 0:25. the snare's reminiscent of a sonar ping and the verb and backing synths also are reminiscent of water, so again this is a really cool idea for how to relate the source to the mix. the original's melody is honestly really beautiful and fitting into the synth sweeps is really nice.

there's a break at 1:39 and the Prelude-like arpeggios layered in here are nice, as the variety of leads used in this section. contrasting one with high reverb to one without it is a nice choice. the beat comes back in at 2:28 alongside a bit more buzz in the synths which is a nice change to dress it up a bit. 3:17 is a bit of a recap of the last line of the melody before we're on the downside of the work. there's a solid outro and then it's done. there's some static on the fadeout that just stops so that'll need a quick fade applied before we release this.

this is an easy vote. the synth work is impeccable as expected, the beat is great, and the adaptation is really smooth. excellent work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/06 - Ecco: The Tides of Time "Two Tides (Sin City Mix)"

Love the potential of arranging a Genesis theme like this one, which sounds so skeletal. It's being beefed up and fleshed out with richer sounds and lusher textures. Wonderful sonic expansion. Right at 2:28 when I was hoping we'd get something fresh on the next iteration of the verse, MkVaff changed up the leads and got more aggressive with the sound for some nice contrast. Good thinning out of the textures at 3:47 to wind it down. Do Defender of the Future next, Mike; need some Tim Follin love!

YES

• 1 month later...

Right from the get-go I'm loving the wide, alive stereo soundscape.  I love the gentle trap vibe happening here with the 808 bass and trap hats.  All the elements fit together well and this is mixed to perfection, mastering is appropriate.  Oh, awesome glassy/synthwavey lead starting at 2:29.  So many arps going in the background, but the soundscape doesn't sound overcrowded and the leads shine through.  This is just excellent, let's go.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Nice synthwave upgrade to a source that doesn't have a lot to it. I found it a tad repetitive, but that's understandable for a mix that's supposed to be mellow, even moreso one that's inspired by trap. Fits the brief, well done.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/06 - *YES* Ecco: The Tides of Time "Two Tides (Sin City Mix)"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04681 - *YES* Ecco: The Tides of Time (GEN) "Two Tides (Sin City Mix)"
  • MindWanderer locked this topic