*NO* Spelunky "Lush Love"

Liontamer

Artist Name: BronxTaco

I actually covered the entire soundtrack in the same megadrive chiptune style, but singled out this track for submission as its the one where I deviated the most from the original material. I expanded the original 18 second loop to repeat 4 times with a build up in complexity and then reducing back down before finally looping.
I belong to a community of Spelunky obssessives who speedrun all 3 games in the series - after hearing these tracks quite literally thousands of times it was actually quite a fast process convert them into these megadrive versions. I made them using the software Deflemask.

Games & Sources

The track is called Lush (or sometimes Jungle) from the original Spelunky game (referred to as Spelunky Classic). The original track is a short 18 second loop written by Jon Perry.
https://hsmusic.wiki/album/spelunky-classic/

Edited by Hemophiliac

track has about 2db of headroom.

starts fairly simply, between the bass, countermelodic element/pad, drums, and lead. there's some eventual arp movement added and extra chordal elements, and it then shifts back down to a simpler layout before looping.

this is, unfortunately, not really what we do in this community much. we do have a lot of chiptune arrangements! but this is very straightforward, with few changes to the original outside of some very minimal added countermelodic elements. this does not demonstrate transformative arrangement, and is closer to a cover. beyond that, it's only really about 1:11 of music before it loops, and that's nowhere near enough material length-wise to pass our bar. i would encourage you to read our submission standards and review what kind of stuff in general we put on the site.

this has some interesting ideas! but it'd need to be fleshed out a lot more and probably would need some post processing to make it less grating in the lead before it'd be something that we'd consider.

NO

Edited by prophetik music
forgot to put in an actual vote

• 2 weeks later...

proph covered the issues well.  This is basically a cover, with very little interpretation or additions to personalize it.  For OCR we look for transformative arrangements and not covers of the source material.

This also needs a huge mixing overhaul.  Please don't be discouraged, everyone starts somewhere!  I suggest posting this into our wip forum and/or Discord server to get further advice on it.  Also you can look up tutorials on proper song arranging and mixing.

NO

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

While this could be a really cool idea to start out with this and expand into something more interpretative and transformative, this is not what OCR is looking for. This is too similar to the original with very little interpretation or transformation.

You want to go in and see what more of your own flavors you can add to or change from the original source. Present the source in a new way.

It could be anything from melodic embellishment, changing the chord progression, or changing the time signature even. There are many ways you can change it up and put your own spin on things. Or you can add completely new material to sit against the original source.  Those are just a few examples of how you can do it, and there are many more ways that you can do it that I didn't mention. I'd encourage you to post in the workshop on the forums or join to the discord server to get feedback.

NO

Edited by Hemophiliac

• Chimpazilla changed the title to *NO* - Spelunky "Lush Love"
  • Hemophiliac changed the title to *NO* Spelunky "Lush Love"