Metallica - Fade To Black (SEGA Genesis Cover)

what are you using?

i wanna do Blackened now :)

i have GennyFL, still pretty lazy with it. eventually i would like to learn how to do a solid hard rock sound like Comix Zone, but automate the parameters in a way that makes it sound like real guitar intonation. that would be like holy grail. you know, like wails, feedback, string muting, pinch harmonics etcetc....i reckon really advanced stuff is possible with loads of effort.

I've got RYM2612 by Inphonik and SuperPSG by AlyJamesLab (both paid VST).

I like your idea about automating parameters for realistic sound. I like to use the velocity sensitivity in RYM2612 and just alter note velocities for change in sound via the individual FM operators. A lot easier than automation, but that's with RYM2612. I'm not sure what Genny has, I've never used it.

genny has everything AND if you use FL you can use it as a native FL plugin. means you can use the pitch notes and stuff!

i bought rym2612 as well, but then i found genny and....felt a bit stupid tbh :S especially cause i am an FL user and you never see that, someone releasing a free 3rd party plugin in FL format.

it's really good! has the PSG as well. also has the drum/sample channel! and it uses NO cpu and i dig the interface more and and and. multitimbral one instance full genesis.

it could be that the sound of the inphonik one is a bit better? i think genny just uses the sound engine of some well known genesis emulator. sounds good to me anyway.

edit: yknow, i feel stupid now...basically i think people should just use what they love or what grows on them. but well...i was really blown away by genny. what can i say. especially amazing for FL users, as i said. ok, enough :)

Edited by Nase

I used to use a plug-in similar in appearance to Genny called YM2612 (free on kvraudio). My main issue with it is that it is not compatible with sample rates above 44.1kHz. I'm not sure if Genny has this issue. I also grabbed RYM2612 because with the free VGM player RYMCast, it is possible to port instruments from VGM into RYM2612. Matter of fact, this cover contains modified Shinobi instruments, while my cover of Better Off Alone (by Alice Deejay) is primarily modified Sonic 3 Ice Cap instruments. Also got RYM2612 for the legacy filter and ladder effect options, as well as the ability to bitcrush audio via audio routing (route your drum sample track to RYM2612 for DAC). It even has a DAC prescaler for custom compression amount. BTW if you ever wanna use Deflemask, RYMCast can output instruments for it. Again, drag and drop.

Edited by Seth Skoda
typo