OCR04719 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, TP, OoT, SS & BotW "Love Thaws the Heart"

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

https://www.youtube.com/@RebeccaETripp/videos
ID: 48262
Game(s): ALBW, TP, OoT, SS, BotW
Song Title: Love Thaws the Heart
Songs Remixed: Ice Ruins (ALBW), Swamp Palace (ALBW), Lake Hylia (TP), Zora’s Domain (OoT), Lanayru Sandsea (SS), Mipha’s Theme (BotW)
Here’s a link: 

Again, the oboe and english horn were performed by Medlix, the flute and piccolo by Gamer of the Winds, and the ocarina by Steven Higbee!

I had a lot of fun with this section, graduating the lonely chill of OoT’s Ice Cavern (where I had left off in the first third of the whole medley), through increasingly warmer and kinder aquatic themes, until finally thawing out with Mipha’s love.  The first movement is a descent into water’s mystery.  The second movement represents the trials, joys, and transformations within its embrace.  The third movement will represent the water’s transcendent release!

PS: if this middle section cuts off too abruptly, I could combine it with the third section instead, but it would be quite long!

i honestly don't have much to say here that i haven't written fifteen or twenty times already. you go through a bunch of zelda tunes in a row, and there's not any dynamic contrast or depth of range in the representations. your use of live performers and lots of percussion (which is easy to sample) does a good job covering up the limits of the orchestral samples used. the arrangement intermixes well with the use of various instruments to handle the melodic material, you add some countermelodic material occasionally, and the tracks are quiet but nowhere near as quiet as they used to be. there's no energy in any of these arrangements ever, but they do what they say on the tin and they pass our criteria overall based on that.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/08 - Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, TP, OoT, SS & BotW "Love Thaws the Heart"
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say I feel like you improved on the original of Link Between Worlds "Ice Ruins". The original has a very grating and super bright quality to it, and you've removed that and created mystery instead of a harsh chill. "Lake Hylia" from Twilight Princess has been warmed up with lower-range violins and violas, and high-range cellos. Weaving between each different source is done very well as they are meshed in a way to really cover their transitions. The percussion really helps with that as well.

Two technical issues that bother me here are the wide panning of instruments and the close positioning of the percussion.  In an orchestral context, the percussion is positioned in the back unless there is a featured percussion performer or a featured part of the piece.  In this case, they are playing a rhythm and support role so it doesn't feel close to the listener. Varying the amount of wet/dry on the reverb for them can help to push them forward or back.

As prophetik also mentioned, there's hardly any dynamic contrast or much change in the chiaroscuro of soft and strong. In such a long piece, it would really help to keep the piece progressing and moving with more changes in dynamic.

Arrangement is great, but I find myself left wanting greater emotion and more things expressed other then "mystical" and "mystery".

YES

The shift into "Lake Hylia" was a nice bit of contrast, forgoing the percussion for about half a minute and focusing more on the strings and brass, and I also enjoyed the transition into "Zora's Domain". The shift to "Lanayru Sand Sea" felt clunkier, but I'll live. For me, there's nothing wrong with the structure; while it's all meant to be mysterious and mystical, there's meaningful effort into the transitions as well as varying up the energy of the textures, even if the instrumentation is pretty fixed, because you have different parts dropping in and out. I dig it!

YES

I love all these themes!  Rebecca and I are both Zelda lovers, so I am extremely familiar with these lovely themes.  I agree with Hemo, I love what you did with Ice Ruins!  This arrangement is a medley like so many RET arrangements, and like the other ones this flows (see what I did there) beautifully from theme to theme and the arrangement is cohesive as it moves and changes over time, telling a lovely story.  The transitions are smooth as heck, especially moving into Lake Hylia, as Larry pointed out.  The soft rain at the end is the perfect way to close out the piece. 

The mixing is fine, everything is clear and gorgeous.  Mastering is just right for this style.  This is a lovely romp through the icey/watery realms of Hyrule.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04719 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, TP, OoT, SS & BotW "Love Thaws the Heart"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic