*NO* Metroid 'Brinstar Funky Shuffle'

Liontamer

Enough personalization creativity for a first sub that we should give it some feedback - LT

Hi, this is my first submission! Read the forum but could not find any particular info about how to name the mp3-file itself. now its called "oscarbrinstar" or something... Please contact me if this is an issue.

/Oscar, "Orro"

Remix name: Brinstar funky shuffle

remixer name: Orro

e-mail: metarn83@hotmail.com / oscar.sjoberg@student.kmh.se

Game: Metroid (8-bit)

Track: Brinstar

------------------------------------------------------------

LIGHTNING ROUND

*Arrangement is creative (but only after 1:25), but also underdeveloped

*Sound quality is pretty poor; sounds like a simplisitic MIDI + soundfonts job, making the performance sound very fake

It's over before it started, bro. You need better sounds and production to deliver better, more realistic textures, plus you need to provide more interpretation than this. Aside from some rhythmic changes, there's less than a minute of interpretive rearrangement going on. Needs a lot more substance on that level as well. Not bad for a first sub, but a long way off. Stick around the community and learn more.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

groovy. Enjoyable.

Here are some things to work on..

off the bat the piano part is a bit too complicated...sounds unnatural.

although there's some good arrangement in terms of groove, horns, piano fills the track is mostly a cover. needs more substantial arrangement.

Shows promise though, and a good first mix.

NO

Well son, you've got the gift.

This track has a pocket, and it actually swings! I would say about 85% of our submissions that attempt swing don't even come close to laying down the kind of groove you achieved.

Nice work on the basslines, too.

As far as sample quality goes, the bass, oboe(?) and drum samples are the only major voices that are passable, IMO. The piano part is well thought out from a harmonic perspective, but it sounds really glitchy and gated. Basically, your sequencing needs some more work.

Larry and Jesse's concerns re: arrangement are also valid. Aspire to more than just a genre adaption + solo section. The parts where you're branching out from the source are the strongest, IMO. Give us MORE.

This was one of the more pleasant suprises I've heard since I joined the panel. I like your vibe, just make the arrangement and the production live up to the concept.

NO