*NO* Super Smash Bros. "Stompin' at Dinosaur Island"

Artist Name: ꓘirby

Hi! This is my first time submitting a work to OCRemix, though I've been listening to remixes since 2008 - high time I try participating in such a stellar community!

This arrangement is my own take on nostalgic VG music through the lens of one of my favorite genres of music: hip-hop turntablism. This song is a mashup heavily inspired by (and referencing) the iconic (and oft sampled) "Stompin at the Savoy" by Benny Goodman, later re-envisioned by Kid Koala in his seminal "All My Friends Are DJ's" album. In short, this particular song is a woven hodgepodge homage of dino-sounds to the spirit of DJ turntablists using Yoshi's theme as the connecting thread. With this song, I wanted to try to answer the hotly debated question: what if DJ Qbert played Smash and mained Yoshi? My style and approach to sampling has been greatly influenced by Steinski (and his "What Does It All Mean?" retrospective album), Fdel, BadBoe, and Cut Chemist, but my love for the greater domain of sampling in video game music comes directly from the great Hideki Naganuma and the Jet Set Radio franchise.

All turntable scratching was done by myself using my Serato DDJ REV1. Hope you enjoy!

Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to any and all feedback you have :)

-Kirby

Games & Sources

In true turntablism fashion, this song is an arrangement of multiple sources:

Primary Samples (and sound effects):

- "Yoshi's Song" from Super Smash Bros. 64

- "Stompin At The Savoy" by Benny Goodman

Additional SFX & Voice Clips:

- Jurassic Park; Step Brothers; The Matrix

Inspiration:

- "Stompin' at Le Savoy" by Kid Koala

Edited by Chimpazilla
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

opens with some sfx from jurassic park, and a beat drops at 0:14. we start to get some harmonic material at 0:37, but it's not recognizable as anything until at least 1:02. there i started to catch the chord patterns of the original. from there, it appears that the primary method for realizing the arrangement was in chopping up and splicing together original audio from Yoshi's Song in SSB. there's also a number of times that riffs from the Benny Goodman song poke up their heads, which by itself isn't an issue but the more extended cribbing that occurs at 3:19 is long enough to be problematic. we strongly advise against the extent of original sampling demonstrated here of game music, and the 30+ seconds of sampled BG audio throughout is also a significant no-no. there's no ending. i also believe that >50% of the track uses some form of Yoshi's Song, but it's close - there's a lot of time spent with just a drum loop or sfx.

from a production standpoint, as an aside, the loop was so loud throughout that it was difficult to pick out the actual harmonic material. one of the key elements of kid koala's track is that the loop's very slim in terms of frequency usage, so the music is always at the fore. in your track, the ambiance sfx and the very broad freq range taken by your kick and snare especially cover up a lot of the actual music going on. a tighter kick with less room tone would help a ton in opening that up.

this is a cute take, and i honestly really like the way that you worked the sfx into the track. i just don't believe that this has a place here due to the extensive use of original sampling - both of Benny Goodman and of the original game audio. we don't have a clear no in the submission standards, but enough sections dovetail together between 3.3, 4.2, and 5.2 that i believe this is something that has a great chance at being successful on the internet somewhere, but probably is too fundamentally different from what we do here to fit in here.

NO

Co-signing with the guys, Brad explained perfectly.  This is a very cute concept and fun listen but not what we are looking for.  The sampling of the BG song is extensive enough to be a problem as he said.  The drum loop is too loud and never varies at all.  There isn't enough VGM source represented in the remix, and sampling of the actual game audio is a dealbreaker.  I love this style and concept, and wouldn't mind hearing this again redone to be more in line with our standards!

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to *NO* Super Smash Bros. "Stompin' at Dinosaur Island"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic