*NO* Lunar 'My Love, Luna'

Liontamer

LT EDIT (2/19): Majin mentioned that he toned down the instrumental volume a bit due to some clipping. If you DLed the song beforehand, please redownload it from the same link.

This remix only took 3 weeks to make, but it took me a year to find a vocalist to fit the part, and I want to thank a few people, rexy, she sang in the early versions of this. Thank you for helping me out. I would also like to thank, Taucer and Prizm. You guys are amazing guitarist, sorry I didn’t use either one of your parts, but it did give me ideas, so I ended up doing the guitar myself. Now to everyone listening, if you hear some of the instruments slightly out of sync, I played every part in real time, nothing was draw in, or programmed. The reason for this, is to keep a some what live feel, plus I don’t like to quantize. Dragon Avenger’s vocal talent is all over this mix, so don’t forget to drop her a line. I hope everyone will enjoy my last remix.

<== Original

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for linking to the original. Encoding's too high, so just remember to stop at the 192kbps bitrate ceiling.

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete Music Soundtrack - (23) "Luna's Boat Song"

The e-piano sounded a little cheesy, but was a nice change compared to the original. I liked the arrangement in that (outside of the vocals) it retained the basic framework of the original but got pretty interpretive and personalized with the instrumentation.

I liked the levels on the guitar work here. Loud enough that it accented the rest of the music, but quiet enough so that the guitar doesn't dominate the soundfield and clash with the lighter feel of the rest of the instruments and DragonAvenger's vocals. Nice work.

DA's vocals sounded too dry, and there's not enough done on the production side to mesh the vocals into the music and compensate for her lack of strength. Right off the bat, the delivery wasn't that hot, IMO. Not to slight or insult DA here, but the nasally delivery of the vocals wasn't good when it was so exposed like that. I think it's like djpreztel alluded to in the writeup of the Final Fantasy 10 mix "Summoner's Love", the voice can be hit or miss depending on the setting.

Perhaps layer the vocals on occasion or delay them slightly longer to flesh them out a bit more. Some tweaks with the production/effects to make the vocals sit better in the song would make this smooth sailing. The vocals are alright in some places, rougher in others. For me, the weaker parts of the performance coupled with the dry mixing dragged down the overall presentation for me, but I may be in the minority. I'd go conditional YES, but the production treatment of the vocals may need something more delicate than a tiny tweak. Pretty good so far, bro and sis; good luck with the rest of the vote.

NO (borderline/resubmit)

• 1 month later...

In terms of production, rearrangement and all the other elements, this definitely passes the bar. However I do agree with Liontamer that a delay on the vocals could have made their performance work more with the track, as softer vocals such as this lend themselves to more processing, whereas a stronger or harsher vocal would only need minimal effects. Vocals definitely need some reverb/delay. I know it seems harsh not to pass it on this one element, but I really think that this mix is really not fullfilling it's potential by having the vocals as dry as they are. Please resub this!

NO(Please resub!)

I agree, arrangement, concept, and production here are all quite good. It boils down to the vocals. The performance isn't any worse than on DragonAvenger's FFX mix. However, that one had more processing on top. Because the vocals carry the mix on top, adding just some stereo widening, reverb, and maybe a bit of delay would make it easily passable. Really simple change and it'll be a YES.

NO, resubmit