*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Boreal Forest'

Liontamer

Hi,

may be this remix of Donkey Kong Country 2 called "Boreal Forest" could sweet to OC taste ;p?

link :

original comments :

date : 03-01-2006

by : Cyborg Jeff (Pierre Martin)

album/project/game : Just a Smile

info : trance remix of Donkey Kong Country 2 song

original comments :

Well.. there are more than One year that i've made and posted remix of video games.. not that i don't want to do.. but i've switched from my old Impulse Tracker (running under MS Dos) to Buzz Tracker.. so i need time to learn and try ;p

In few days i'll launch my new album "Just a smile" and i decided to realise a video game mix to include in it. So i've choose the forest theme of Donkey Kong Country 2 that i've heard in some other remix this year, and that have an intersting melody.

so here is.. concept of the album is turning under theme of "Miss Eskimo" and her "Sound Palette"... so that's why it called Boreal Forest,.. and sounds like this ;p

so.. if u like this remix.. may be u'll like my forcoming album .. then stay tuned on http://cyborgjeff.untergrund.net in few days..

cyborgjeff

http://www.cyborgjeff.com

MARTIN Pierre

designer multimédia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "Forest Interlude" (dkq-10.spc)

I'm a fan of the source tune on account of Protricity's "Forest Birdcussion", the legendary track with the goofy name. Played this way back on VGF76, and this is a decidedly different approach, which is good to hear. The arrangement itself was pretty conservative, but IMO personalized enough in the delivery where the end result is a safe pass. I liked the integration of the SNES SFX from the original.

Nice opening. Melody came in at :21 with a relatively spartan woodwind sample. I thought the drumwork was pretty bland, and the string accents starting around :44 were way too soft to really benefit the song (again around 2:10).

The energy level was good, and I liked the various dynamic shifts throughout, but the production could be tweaked to get more out of it. Moved to some bland electrosynths at 1:41; everything's feeling too bread-and-butter on the production side and needs some meat on it. Right now, the overall blandness of the sounds undermined the strength of the arrangement.

If the arrangement were more interpretive, the production would have been less of an issue for me, but by 2:47's section I felt like I'd heard most of the arrangement ideas and that the track was retreading. Some more interpretive variations on the source melody from verse to verse would be good to keep things fresh. The fadeout at 4:00 abruptly cut out before the fade was finished; fix it up.

I like what you've done so far, Pierre. This is a good base that could use an extra push to get it on solid ground. Definitely don't be discouraged about it. I'd sincerely like to see you resubmit this mix and get it posted on the front page.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 1 month later...

My groove bias has kicked in and is operating at maximum capacity. I really like the way the rhythms here and the synth design. Very energetic and full of life. I wasn't feeling the lead though, which is really dry for some reason... why not put some verb/delay on it? It would sound a lot better and fit in with the rest of the mix, which is "wet" for the most part. The use of SFX was cool.

I do have two problems. The arrangement is pretty close to the original, as Larry pointed out, with the same riff(s) repeating quite a few times. Also, the instrumental texture stays pretty static. Neither of these would be too big of a deal on their own, like if you were constantly switching up the instruments and doing some crazy synthwork, it could make up for a more conservative arrangement. Likewise, not having as much variation in the sounds would be OK if the arrangement was in-depth in creative. Ideally you want both. But right now you don't have enough of either.

This is a very cool song right now and I like your style. Just polish it up a little bit and it will be an easy YES. Looking forward to the album!

NO