*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Schala's Theme (Saxophone Mix)'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Brian Best

Email address: brianbest1982@hotmail.com

Game ReMixed: Chrono Trigger

Name of song ReMixed: Schala's Theme

Square Soft, SNES

Hey there. A friend of mine pointed me to this website. He's been listening to my recordings for years and suggested that I submitted it here.

I did this track when I was in high school a long time ago based off of my favorite video game at the time, Chrono Trigger. I remember consistently playing that video game for hours on end. I remember at one point in the game when you first got to see Schala in the game, I literally put the controller down and listened to the music. It was pretty breathtaking and sort of eye opening of how music in video games can evoke such an emotional response.

Currently a saxophone performance undergraduate in college, I recorded this back when I was in high school mixing and producing stuff out of my bedroom. It's an oldie, but goodie. I figured that I could capture that same response by playing some sax stuff, so the saxophone is live - one take. Hope you enjoy.

Musically,

Brian Best.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is sweeeeeeeeet. The only gripe is that it is really low in volume, and that it doesn't progress to anything else. This is just a long intro, like a woman who teases you to the point where you think that sex with her is inevitable, but it's not gonna happen. Where is the rest of this? As much as I like it, this would need to be fleshed out into a full arrangement. Get your sax out, and finish this. Then you'll have yourself a winner!

NO

(more please)

This sounds pretty, and the playing is fine. There's just not enough reinterpretation going on. Since this was recorded years ago you may not want to revisit it at all. If you do, I'd suggest spending more time working with the source tune, and give us a little more substance.

Like I said, it sounds great, its just not quite what we're looking for.

NO

This is really sweet. The saxophone is great, and the piano comping is great. The arrangement is obviously just a 2 minute vamp on the 8 bar melody. But dont, my friends, make the mistake of thinking this is a cover/rip. The sax does much more than play the melody, and the piano and strings provide plenty of harmonic interpretation and dynamics. I think it could be longer, but there IS a dynamic curve. There's a crescendo and climax. I really dont know what else it needs.

The only problem that NEEDS to be fixed is that it's too quiet. this should really not be too hard, so I'm going to say

YES and lets email the guy about boosting the volume.

This is just a long intro, like a woman who teases you to the point where you think that sex with her is inevitable, but it's not gonna happen.

Hahahahaha! You've given him more fodder for music, believe me. :-D

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Sara's Theme" (ct-3-06.spc)

Delicate piano and strings opening things up. Kinda fakey and cheap with those string pads, but nothing too bad. Sax creeps in at :29. Some gentle escalation via the electrosynths at 1:20. The production of the sequenced instrumentation needs to be louder/stronger to mesh better with the sax; right now, the supporting stuff is too quiet.

The track's short and halfway over, and the intro's not even done. Ah wait, it doesn't really build to anything beyond that. There's some subtle but noticeable dynamics, as things get more and more intense, but nothing that majorly changed the feel of the piece over time.

Lots of personalized embellishment and interpretation in the sax performance. Definitely not a cover/rip, but I didn't get that vibe from Jon T.'s vote. The arrangement being decidedly underdeveloped relative to the source material is what made the others go NO.

Give it a minute or two more and flesh out the arrangement further. Creatively speaking, what you have in place is aight, but you could bring a lot more than this to the table. This is cool, but only scratches the surface and doesn't feel like a fully realized idea.

NO (resubmit)

Really hope to hear something else from you in the future though if you choose not to resubmit this one, Brian.

Heh, Jon asked me to take a listen to this one, and I think he's trying to lure me into a potential debate, after my rant on the Icy Peaks mix :P

This is really a very beautiful track, hands down. Obviously, it's waaaay too quiet, and could probably stand to be normalized up a few decibels. Other than that, lengthwise, I'm actually slightly more on the fence about this one. I see where Vig is coming from, and I see where everyone else is coming from. Both sides could arguably be right as far as the arrangement factor goes. I've been told that performance can have a balancing effect on source-to-remix ratio when enough emotion is invoked by the style, and I can agree with that, I suppose. However, I think this is also underdeveloped in light of the potential that is revealed very quickly by this soothing theme (I'm a pretty big fan of the source after acquainting myself with it after Avaris's submission). But unfortunately, as we've said in other recent votes, where mixes would have been shoo-ins for the front pages had they been submitted a few years back, I feel that's the case with this track.

Great stuff, but I want more. It may be hard to go back and redo a mix you did years ago, and if you don't want to, that's totally understandable, but hell, give it a shot, I say. If not for the fact that this piece ends a little too quickly, I'd say it'd be a shoo-in right now.

So there you have it. I'd like a resubmit.

NO