Anyone tried Oatmeal (free VSTi)?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2237.html

(Latest update is actually v37-4: http://bicycle-for-slugs.org/oatmeal37-4.zip)

This thing is amazing. Don't let the default skin deter you--someone did a collection of reskins (<- link!) that make it much more useable.

I've been messing around with Oatmeal and am just stunned at the quality of it. The arpeggiator is excellent, the XY pad can be set to evolve autonomously, and the randomize patch feature makes surprisingly useable bases for sounds.

Really digging it...I think I may put together a bank of presets while trying to learn its intricacies.

Just wanted to share this with anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

For something that is skinned like oatmeal - one would think they would have come up with a more minimalist control interface. Just sayin'.

Playing around with it - man, those filters are really musical with less resonance. They've got a real punch to them at low frequencies. I love the aftertouch on pitch - it makes a nice addition to my arsenal.

Oatmeal is lovely, probably one of my favorite synths to use. Getting a different skin for it is essential if you want to be able to program it easily, though.

Have you tried:

Drawing your own oscillators?

Using the chorus as a flanger?

Modulating the PWM of the drawn oscs?

Playing around with the mod matrix and XY pad?

The RANDOM button, which quite possibly makes the best patch names ever concieved?