*NO* Turrican 'Title'

Liontamer

Contact Info

* Your ReMixer name: TSVOS

* Your real name: Alexandra Hajdu

* Your email address: alex.hajdu@gmx.at

* Your website: www.tsvos.sub.cc (musicproject) www.chrishuelsbeck.likesmusic.de (retroproject)

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: My activation id was 14681275 if that is asked. Otherwise i just remember that i used TSVOS.

ReMix Info Name of game(s) ReMixed

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: TuRRican I - Titlesong

* Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.:

Everyone should know the game TuRRican on serval systems such C64, Amiga, Pc, Atari, etc.. back in da 80s.

And one of my biggest idols was & still is Chris Hülsbeck who was responsible for the finest game-soundtrack i've ever heard on my beloved machine amiga (meant Tfmx/ingame music plus his Cd/studio-versions).

U can still order his cds on www.synsoniq.com To people who realy don't know TuRRican i want to refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turrican

* Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site:

* www.synsoniq.com / www.huelsbeck.com

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

As above-menationed i'm a big fan of Chris & as my brotha asked if iwould have time & interest making a remix together with him i of course agreed. :) A longnite listening-session followed & has finally brought the decision to choose the wellknown titlesong from TuRRican I because of it's excellent foundations as a hardrock song. Of course we could have picked any other leveltunes aswell. People, pls.. forgive us. ;)

The Song was made, in rewire-mode, with Fl-studio & Reason. In Reason 3.0, i've programmed some FX & also the famous arpeggiator, that u hear right from the start in the orginal Tfmx-tune aswell, with Malström.

In Fl i've treaten all guitarsamples, the synthbassline (programmed by Hülsbeck on Quadrasid) as also the choir (taken from Korg M1). The next sound that i had to program by myself was the chordsound (with Firebird).

My Brotha played on his Ibanez while Guitarrig recorded his parts. For the orientiations sake he used a programm called Guitarpro. Guitarpro allows u to import midifiles then to convert it into tabular data. Thanks to this he could let show Guitarpro how to play certain parts on a displayed fingerboard.

So that's how the remix became reality...everyone had to spent alot of hours until we felt satisfied with the result. The basic idea of the remix, to have a hardrock feel in on & in the other hand a nostalgic dejavue is absolutely intended. So expect this & we hope u enjoy our contribution.

It took us 1 month & it should be worth. =)

Cya !

Music:

www.tsvos.sub.cc

-

Retro:

www.chrishuelsbeck.likesmusic.de

www.fanpageforum.here.de

-

Fun-project:

www.popmusic.at/vinylmasta

-

Other:

www.lautas.sub.cc

- - -

-----------------------------------------------------

Interesting opening. The drums introed at :12 sound like overly looped samples. There's definitely not enough work put into filling out the background, and, with the way this is mixed, all you hear is mainly the guitar lead and drums until 1:34.

Some vox and a new electrosynth on lead arrived at 1:34, but everything sounded REALLY lo-fi & cluttered upfront. That stuffed dropped out and lead back to another empty section at 1:55 with drums & guitar, before another really distorted guitar entered over the top briefly from 2:05-2:15. Really nice changeup at 2:15, and the guitar lead there was the best work yet compared to everything else. Guitar performance from 2:56-3:16 was really stiff; gotta work on letting it flow more smoothly. Ending was a little cheesy for my tastes, but still fine.

There were several good changes in the energy level and instrument combinations. However, the execution was flat and the production was a mess. All the guitar playing was too rigid. The drumwork needs to be much more interesting, as you just use the same drum snap over and over and over, only varying the frequency of hits when you wanted more energy.

And after finally reinstalling DeliPlayer on my comp...

http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Huelsbeck_Chris/Turrican.lha - mdat.title

The overall spareness of the original worked for the limitations of the Amiga, but you gotta do more for OCR. Doing a cover of the original with little-to-no interpretation is cool for a tribute project, but not with OCR's guidelines. You can't just adapt a piece for a different set of instruments. All the positives of this piece stem from Hülsbeck's writing talent, and all of the negatives are a result of your lackluster execution in copying it.

When we say 'ReMix'' date=' we actually mean something closer to 're-arrangement', if that helps clarify. If you listen to most of the pieces on the site and compare them to the originals, you should get an idea of what a ReMix is. [b']In terms of arrangement - how close or distant ReMixes should be to the original - the general rule is that the ReMix should be YOURS. We don't just mean that you were involved in its creation, but that it is different enough from the original so as to readily illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. In other words, don't just take the original and drop a few drum loops on top. Also, don't simply take a MIDI file and assign new instruments to the parts, or add reverb, and expect that to pass as 'yours'. Changing a piece's genre, adding original passages, solos, harmonies, and counter-melodies, as well as altering instrumentation, dynamics, and tempo are all ways of making a ReMix your own unique creation, and are techniques best used in conjunction.

NO Override

• 4 weeks later...
Turrican Soundtrack

Chris Hülsbeck

picture of the product Turrican Soundtrack add to shoppingcart

Technical details

AUDIO CD with 16 audio-tracks and a playtime of 68:43 minutes.

Releasedate at synSONIQ: 1993

Ordering number: KCD4

EAN: 402872300014

Price: EUR 15.95

Yikes, I'm glad I don't have to spend $21 everytime I need to compare a track to the source. [cynical]Thank goodness for subtle luxuries... Or in this case, a world wide network full of pirated video game music[/cynical] :)

[confirm Larry's N.O.]Now then, this is a cool mix, and a decent cover. But unfortunately, we do not accept covers here, only "reinterpretations" of the original themes, not simply the same theme verbatim with upgraded instruments. Best of luck in future submissions and music, Ms. Hadju.[/confirm Larry's N.O.]