Reason Strings Refill

sgx

Any of you used the Propellerheads Reason Strings Refill? I'm thinking about getting it. I already EQLSO Silver and Dimension Pro so I've got some ok orchestral stuff, so I'm not sure why I would need this, but those demos are fun - I think it is making me want it.

I think one reason I want it is because I like running big samples in Reason - CPU efficient and easy. And with Thor on the way, I'll probably be using Reason a whole lot in the future anyways.

Any comments from people who have used it?

EDIT: Listening to the demos - oh...I guess Fort Minor uses Reason Strings :)...very blatantly haha. (Very recognizable string loop)

EDIT: Listening to the demos - oh...I guess Fort Minor uses Reason Strings :)...very blatantly haha. (Very recognizable string loop)

I believe Mike Shinoda uses nothing but recorded strings on the Rising Tide. However, there certainly is a blatant "Believe Me" cover in that second demo :).

He released a completely stemed version of "Remember the Name" this past summer as part of a remix competition. He may have done the same for others of his tracks and sold them to Propeller Head.

Yes I've used it, a friend of mine had it and I borrowed it for a while and used it in the past. Imo, there is nothing special about it at all, the orkester bank is better in most cases. I never actually used the patch instrument files from it. The rex files are useful, (used on 'fragmentation' and 'getting all worked up' in my 'back to root' album I made a few years ago), but I don't use it anymore, I can definitely do without it.

I think you should get more opinions on it though, because although I use string sounds a lot, I don't do proper orchestral pieces, and perhaps it's better suited to that.

I can't really find any formal product reviews, just a few user reviews on retail sites. Seems like they don't think much of the patches, but the rex files are cool if that's what you want.

I don't really need rex files I don't think. Maybe if this were cheaper. Re-listening to those demos, the patches seem a bit dry, and a bit more like a string ensemble than an orchestra. I think I want the fuller lush sound...probably going to pass on this. Maybe if it were $50 or so. $80 is a bit much I think.

I don't own the strings refill but I've heard mixed things about em.

If you know someone who is still a student or works at a school you can get Kontakt2 for $179. (normally $450)

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=743394&qk_srch=kontakt+2

You'll get the VSL sample library with Kontakt2. But then again the big samples use up a lot of ram and you'd have use Kontakt 2 in Live or Project5.