*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Assault on Kefka's Tower'

Liontamer

Contact Info

* DJ Emmerich

* Craig P

* ElliotCarver@gmail.com

* None

* Hal_Emmerich (only User ID I could find)

[ edit]

ReMix Info

Final Fantasy - Kefka's Tower (Last Dungeon)

Remix: Assault on Kefka's Tower

Alright. This remix has a bit of a story behind it, as its half remix, half challenge, half apology. About the start of January, I posted what was intended to be a provocative topic to try to request more orchestral remixes that 'stayed true to the original song'. In doing so, I wound up (deservedly) getting quite a few flames regarding about how remixing is about creativity. Amongst the flames, there were a lot of reasonable comments, such as how it was an overzealous remark (true) and that the remix doesn't have to maintain the feel of the original. One of the last posts in the thread however brought up the point that if that is the kind of thing I wanted to hear, why don't I actually remix a song.

And so I did.

Now, as for the song choice. I've always loved the Last Dungeon theme from Final Fantasy 6. Something about the song is pleasant, yet menacing at the same time. I was listening to the song one day, shortly after listening to a midi arrangement of Zelda 2's great palace on vgmusic, where the song had been changed into what I would best describe as 'attack' music, an upbeat march. I was inspired to give Kefka's Tower a similar work over, especially since it hasn't been done before. (Yet, how many remixes of Terra's Song and Celes are there). I used the piano score to get the main melody into Noteworthy Composer, then altered the melody, added counter melody, drums, and what would turn out to be an overly obnoxious fake trumpet and timpani sound. I assumed that once the song was composed, the work was done..

You can stop laughing now.

Loading up a copy of Cakewalk Sonar, I quickly learned how to use the most basic functions of the program from a stint I had spent with Fruity Loops when I was younger, when remixing to me simply meant taking a midi and slapping on samples. I experimented with a set of samples called Dimension Pro, and put the song out to mp3. Boy wasn't I proud. Except the song sucked. It sounded little better than midi. I posted it on the WIP, and was quickly pointed in the right direction by several members, Theory of Nonexistence, GSlicer of the #OCRWIP room and Kanjika all deserve special thanks for helping to point out where I was going wrong, namely, samples, an arrangement that lacked punch, too little orchestral variety and a mix that was really still far to close to the original song.

Which brings us to the current version. After the first version, I decided to start from scratch again. I thought about how I wanted the remix to sound, and rather than copying the song note for note from the piano score, I played with it a bit more, added flute, string and orchestral parts, removed the timpani in favor of a bass guitar and added in a more diverse percussion. I got better samples, and with help from an old friend, learned to use them a bit better. The result is a something that I am proud of, regardless of where it stands on OCR's scale of quality. Submitting it I suppose, as I said, stands as an apology for being so narrow minded towards remixes, as well as a personal accomplishment. I'd like it to end up in the OCR (an honor to have my first ever remix actually make it onto the site), but also understand first attempts are never as great as we think they are. If I had to pick three things that I learned from the experience...

#1: Reverb and Chorus are your friends

#2: Just because the soft synth will play a note that high, doesn't mean it should

#3: Synth Trumpets -suck-

And in all seriousness, I have learned to respect the amount of work that is put into a remix.

Thank you for your time in reviewing this remix, and enjoy

Craig P, AKA Hal_Emmerich

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ya live, ya learn. Good on ya.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Last Dungeon" (ff6-313.spc)

Opened up with some slightly tense strings, followed up by a woodwind. Drums entered in at :28. You already have a decent idea in terms of creating a pleasing soundscape with limited instrumentation, but by around :31 it seemed to be time for you to build the track into something more by creating some dynamic contrast. I didn't realize that last point initially, but continuing to listen up to around the 1-minute mark, it became clear that you missed a jumpoff point for changing the energy level of the composition once the melody arrived. The whole track feels samey throughout, because the intensity/energy languishes at one level.

The arrangement is too repetitive and aimless. Aimless partially because your melodic lead is too quiet compared to the other instrumentation, and repetitive AND aimless because everything remotely melodic drones on indistinctly. It actually ends up less melodious than the original. Keep working on it in terms of creating/arranging more melodious writing, and keep dynamic contrast in mind.

NO

• 1 month later...

2:49 is pretty short for a remix 'round these here parts, but his is actually pretty good for a first effort in terms of arrangement. You still have a looooong way to go with production, though, I'm afraid. First of all, I can hardly hear the bass line at all - almost didn't notice it at first! Your samples aren't half bad, but they need some varied articulation to sound more natural. Panning here doesn't accurately represent an orchestral setup, and I think if you tuned your ears for that a little more, you'd wind up with a better balance. Also, the snare is reaaaaalllly fake sounding right now, and you cut off the song before the reverb even finished its decay at the end!

Don't be discouraged, though. It takes a lot of trial and error to teach yourself how to use these programs, and you picked the hardest genre of all if you want to go for a realistic sound. Keep practicing, and use the WIP forums as a resource!

NO

Larry nailed my issues. Everything feels similar throughout the track. No dynamics, and dynamics are crucial to any good orchestral composition. You desperately need to give this motion and direction. This is directly tied in with orchestral production, too...

I can tell you're used QLSO for this. That is a nice sampleset, but you are not taking advantage of it. You need to orchestrate properly in some spots (eg. the string marcatos) in order to get a "big" sound, as well as voice chords and use automation in such a way that things sound more natural. The only way to fine tune these techniques and more to achieve realism is practice, and asking people who are already good at it (we have a few on OCR).

Decent effort, keep at it.

NO