*NO* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'Midna's Lament'

Liontamer

tHi, this is my first contribution to Overclocked Remix.

There's not much to say about this little piece of music.

I just wanted to create different moods to reflect the different stages of the relationship between Link and Midna in »The Legend Of Zelda – Twilight Princess«.

Sincerely, Peter Köller

PS: I have edited all ID3-Tags i could find in iTunes.

Contact info:

ReMixer name: Gaspode

email: derkehrer@aol.com

User ID: —

Remix info:

Name of remix: Midna's Lament

Name of game ReMixed: The Legend Of Zelda – Twilight Princess

Name of individual song ReMixed: Midna's Desperate Hour

Additional game information:

- Name: The Legend of Zelda – Twilight Princess

- Composers: Koji Kondo, Toru Minegishi, Asuka Ota

- Copyright: Nintendo, 2006

- System: Gamecube, Wii

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Game Rip) - "Midna's Desperation"

Arrangement is slowed down compared to the original, with better instrumentation (though generic in tone) and some minor new supporting writing. Not hugely interpretive, which kind of mitigates the perceived personalization. Sample quality was "aight", but some noticeable flaws were distracting. Bow movements on the strings from :53-:56 and 1:04-1:10 were really exposed, jerky and fake. Just because the strings in the source tune sound ultra-fake, keep in mind that what's good enough for the game isn't necessarily gonna fly here. You need to work on refining the realism, though I would let a top-flight arrangement get away with it, as the samples are of reasonable quality to me. The soundfield needs a bit more depth to it, so that the relative thinness of your instruments aren't so exposed. Ending at 2:45 is too sudden and ended up exposing the piano sample too much at 2:47 during the fade.

More interpretation first and foremost. Better production and sample realism could only help as well, but the imbalance is more toward the arrangement needing further interpretation. Cool sub so far, Peter. Stick around the forums here and see what else you can learn.

NO

• 2 months later...

Bleh, this source was extremely muddy, and I wasn't really all that impressed in general with the delay on the piano. Plus, the strings and piano simply don't play well off each other IMO.

At any rate, the nice thing about dull source material is that there's a good chance the remix will be better off as stand-alone. So let's see what we got here.

Harp + tiny bells sounded much better right off the bat. Some legato strings chiming in soon after. the slow-attack strings playing the melody at 1:04 was awkward. Seems theres a little bass-pluck at 1:19 to add a little more depth (thankfully). Definitely a song worthy of carrying the word "lament" in the title. Typically, I'm not a fan of sparse textures such as at 1:48, but taking into account the previous sentence, I'm OK with it at this point. All in all, the strings are a little too fakey for me to be completely satisfied with the mix. I could handle the less than pro-quality samples in and of themselves, were it not for the style. The thin textures (ultimately caused by the style, and not a result of poor writing--an unfortunate case) kind of overemphasize the fact that these strings could use a little more beef, or realism. If you can track down better samples/patches, more power to you. If not, maybe try a reEQ of the instruments, and beef up the dynamic diversity so that the textures won't overexpose the (slightly sub)average-quality strings.

It's a tough call, as it's not the biggest of issues, as far as I'm concerned, but I think this is pretty close, and shouldn't be too difficult to fix up before throwing back down the RESUB chute.

TWEAK/REFINE/RESUBMIT.

NO

Very close, there are a few issues that have already been touched on that make me lean towards a no vote:

* The attack on the strings is too long in the melody used at around the 1 minute mark, and makes the strings sound very 'cheap' compared to the other instruments used.

* Ending cuts off too abruptly.

For me, the strings really spoil what is an otherwise very good sub. Granted, as Liontamer mentioned the arrangement could do with some more original elements thrown in. Needs some more polish overall.

NO