*NO* Mega Man 2 'Heatman (Inferno Mix)'

Liontamer

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 12 ("Heatman Stage")

Bass progression at :30 is reminiscent of the Halo theme in a way. I really like this mix. It's fairly simple and straightforward, but what's here is arguably pretty solid. I can tell the main beefs people are going to have with it is the level of rearrangement, and the level of repetition in an already fairly short track. Neither really bother me that much, and I think this is still as pleasant in my ears as 2 HAWT 4 H3@TM@N!!11, despite the lack of detail and embellishments that AeroZ's mix had.

This is probably an outdated call, as this would have definitely been ushered in on the red carpet 4 years ago or so, but despite the arrangement being fairly straightforward, it's not exactly a cover, and the production is keen enough by our standards.

It's 2:45 in the AM, and I'm pulling out the YES and I'm not looking back. ;)

Are we listening to the same mix? You should check it out again with fresh ears.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 12 ("Heatman Stage")

Bassline progression changes at :36 seem off, even when the Heatman melody came in later, but not a huge deal in the big picture.

The sound design is really bland, but going in the right direction overall in terms of trying to build a texture for the intro. Too bad the intro's the most interesting part.

Source melody takes center stage at 1:01, but the atmosphere became ultra sparse in the attempt to put the focus on the melody. Changed up at 1:16 with a saw-type lead and thicker beats, but these textures are way too simplistic and the writing ideas for the parts are way too straightforward & plodding and lack dynamics. Ending cuts off very abruptly at 2:42.

The arrangement simply needs more interpretation and evolution, and your sounds need to be beefed up. Decent first sub.

NO

well, as I said, it may be an outdated call, and I was half-asleep when I voted, but I still stand by my vote. It's a borderline call, and there's tones of ways I can think the mix could be better, but I really find myself liking what he's got here. Production is fine, as far as I can tell, and despite his minimalistic soundscape and arrangement, this is passable on a good day.

Not arguing my point, just clarifying my vote, off as it may seem :)

soundfield is emptyish. Minimalism can be great, if executed with subtlety. This really doesnt have enough going on at the small scale to remain interesting. Beyond that, there are a number of harmonic flubs that really stick out. single notes here and there in the bassline that just don't belong.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

The intro was pretty promising to me up to :46 - I was expecting things had really densified and expanded past there. However, instead there's a really weak + simple synth lead playing the melody. Boo. The synth at 1:17 is too buzzy and plain, plus it's just doing a riff from the original verbatim for nearly a full minute. It's not interesting enough to merit that much attention. Drum beats are also very simple and textbook dance - not a big deal, but because the tempo is a bit relaxed and the soundfield is too minimal, it just comes off as boring. Overall none of the production aspects here are bad, but they're as plain as plain can get.

Arrangement is very similar to the original with some basic new material added to fill up space. The ending is too abrupt as well. Needs more, at least another minute's worth. Do more melodic variations, add new chords, harmonies, etc.

Good start, but as far as electronic stuff goes you gotta go above and beyond what you have now. Spend more time on the WIP and ReMixing forums.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

While there are no production issues per se, this is quite a repetitive mix in many ways. I wouldn't go as far to call it cookie cutter, but this needs a lot more personality injected into it. I'll just end up reiterating what has already been said, but this needs a lot more variation and original melodic content. There are also some questionable notes in the bassline.

NO

the other NOs sum up my thoughts re: this submission.

the only thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that i think the crash sample is overused to the point of distraction.

spend some more time with this one. give the arrangement some kind of shape. that ending just doesn't cut it.

NO