*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Gladly Badass'

Liontamer

Horrible introduction, fake guitar is rarely good.

synths are all right. Beats are quite blande and thin. The treble of the piece is heavily favoured. Your bass is just weak and playing an octave too high in my opinion.

I was expecting a nice piano arrangement when I read your description. The bass synth thing is just grating and not enjoyable at all, I have no idea why you decided to let it be the focus for the middle of the mix, especially considering that section is almost entirely originals.

The parts that actually remix the sandy badlands theme from the original sound all right, but essentially you've not really done anything beyond a few gated synths. This may be enough to pass, but the instrumentation is just bad excluding those synths. Your bass, the beats, they have a long way to go before being enjoyable.

NO

The timestamps mentioned here could be slightly/very off. The encoding of the MP3 was pretty wonky on Winamp.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 221 "Sandy Badlands"

Opening was pretty odd. The stereo effects were a little disorienting, but it was at least nice to hear such attention paid to playing around within the field.

Yeah, offhand, the melodic arrangement wasn't too much besides the synth gating. Nonetheless, you were clearly using several originally written supporting parts (e.g. 2nd electrosynth, bass synth, belltones) to combine with the melody; nice work there from a creative standpoint. On the minus side, the lead synth on melody was pretty generic and grating. Treble was definitely too much, but it didn't bother me as much.

Reasonable original section at 1:24 very liberally inspired by the source, though the addition of the robovoice stuff at 1:41 was tacky as hell. A breathy voice recording saying the same words would mesh better. You have some nice beef on those bass kicks, but otherwise the beatwork was pretty sparse in this section despite the overall clean production. The sheer volume didn't compensate for the relative spareness of your textures; too bad though, as you obviously put some work into filling things out, for example from :42-1:26. Still, you need something steady like a variety of pad sounds to help anchor things. And think of a less plodding pattern for the drum kick in that section while you're at it; Lasts all the way until around 2:34.

2:20 retread the previous stuff with some additional harmony on top until 2:59. Oooh, I liked the section from 3:07-3:41, arranged from later on in the source; you missed the boat on using those passages more throughout the track to spice it up. Interesting ending with the organ; not using it beforehand in some manner was a missed opportunity to add more dynamic contrast to the piece.

Among other criticisms mentioned before, work on refining those generic sounding electrosynths as well as the mixing and sound balance to get some stronger textures, and break up the monotony of that middle section at 1:24. This was actually a pretty good base and showed some promise.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to echo the critiques of Larry and TO. The main problem here is the execution. You have some decent arrangement ideas, that, with a stronger and more well-rounded execution, would have been better. Overall, the combination of sounds just doesn't really work and there are too many sparse and minimal sections. I would take another shot at it and really go back to the drawing board on the beats, the lead, the robovox, and harmony parts. But, as Larry said, the base here is pretty good. You have the right idea and you're heading in the right direction... just flesh it out and polish.

NO