Liontamer

avaris sez:

name: Shaun Wallace

avaris.studios@gmail.com

remixer name: avaris

Final Fantasy Adventure

Title Theme (Rising Sun)

Kenji Ito

So one sunday afternoon I was watching Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) and I started humming this song to myself, which after looking through my midi collection was the title theme to one my fav games of all time Final Fantasy Adventure. (Secret of Mana 1 ftw)

After that I immediately started working on rearranging the theme. I really liked what I had but I was completely dry in terms of rhythms . Knowing that Skrypnyk is bad ace at rhythms I PM'ed him. He did a friggin awesome job on em and the bass. I really like the xtra flava his rythms added to the song. For a lot of the sounds in this I used steampipe2 from Reaktor 5. Thanks for listening.

Skrypnyk sez:

Andrew Skrypnyk

djskrypnyk@gmail.com

ID: 6278

avaris PMed me interested in a quick collab. I was all for it, so we PMed each other tossing back and forth ideas, and about a week later, violin!.....vitamin? electric guitar? Something like that....

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/ffa.zip - Track 1

Opening piano sounded really rigid. Rim hits and...what are those, bass kicks?...brought in at :25 sounded out of place. Really stiff sequencing and the textures aren't fleshed out or cohesive. Source melody started at :50 with some light woodwind doubling. The pace here was really plodding, and something that was meant to have organic sounds is crippled by the stiff sequencing. I did like the writing on the woodwind at 1:41, solid stuff there that sat more comfortably into the texture.

The arrangement also lacked direction until 2:21 went for another iteration of the source melody; much better lead choice there, plus the changes in your supporting instrumentation provided a stronger texture. The grooves you lay down were still plodding and repetitive over the long haul.

The tracks ends stronger than it starts, but for the first half there needs to be a lot of TLC for the sequencing, more attention to how the various instruments sound in tandem, and the arrangement could use more direction. Get your groove on, but vary it up more over the long run.

NO

• 2 months later...

Filename says "Cerulean Dre" I was expecting some ill rhymes.

The piano w/synth is sequenced too simply. half notes get boring, as do triads. Some of the textures work well, like the bass and th e pads, but the piano and the leads are really weak. the lead doesnt have any punch at all, it's buried under the synth which sounds too similar to the lead.

main problem is that piano sequencing in my opinion.

NO

Shaun, hey, bud, glad to see someone else rubbing a little love on the ol' FFA. Sweet.

Now, on a more unfortunate note, I gotta be honest bro, I wasn't feeling the first 2:16 at all. Bass around 2:20 and after is pretty cool. Mellow, but with cool fills. I was a little disappointed by the drum sequencing, after recently hearing Skryp's "Skala" mix. I was expecting something a little more IDM-ish, with a little more intensity (despite this being a pretty mellow remix). The piano chords in the beginning with the kick really just didn't collaborate all that well in the final play, I think. And the drums seem so muffled for the duration of the mix. It makes it hard to really get a fair opinion of whether or not they're done well or not.

I guess the main problem is that I know and love this source tune super well--like, it's probably encoded into my DNA at this point, and the first 2 minutes just seems like it's been altered with some unusual offsetting of the melodic rhythm as well as accompanying chords. It's unnatural, and thus confusing (for me). Then, when the more familiar style of arrangement kicks in after 2:16, it's pretty near, exact of what it is in the source.

Shaun, you're one of the most productive people I know, as you seem to spit out a new remix on a weekly basis, and I envy your ability to do so, as it seems increasingly difficult for me to finish (or even start new) projects lately, but I still think there's some room for this one to grow.

Keep at it, bro. Again, muchos gracias for dipping into the FFA love.

NO