*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Ray of Hope'

Liontamer

LionTamer told me to resubmit because my last submission 404'd. I'm including the file because I'm on 28k right [supposed to be 56 but being in the country/woods, my connection drops]. Rather than get muddy with other servers and wade through other stuff, I'm getting it done here.

ReMixer name - Uberwulf X

Real name - Louis Spears

Email - uberwulf@gmail.com

Website - Shades of Tsylence [http://freewebs.com/uberwulf/index.htm ]

Userid - heck if i know. heck if i can tell where to find that out, now.

Game RM'd - Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Song RM'd - Death Egg Zone

Add. info - I belive it's all there. If not, it's in the mp3.

Link to OST - It should be on the site.

Comments - It's not meant to be heavy in any way. This is supposed to be one of those kinds of laid back tunes, the ones that you hear in the back of your mind and feel good for some reason, though you're not really listening to it. Subtle changes in repeated areas, with one real standout section that makes you blink. But overall, a feel good, bob-your-head-but-you-don't-realize-you're-doing-it kinda thing.

One of the biggest issues here is the very muddy low end. The kick drum clashes with the bass line, particularly noticeable at 1.34 and 2.24-2.26. It makes the song sound much less definied. Some questionable notes in the melody at 1.18-1.21 in relation to the chord progression. 2.42-2.45 also has notes that seem a little off.

I try not to make stylistic suggestions, but I don't think that the 808 kick suits the style of this mix. Needs some more work. Don't forget you can use the WIP forums for peer feedback as well.

NO

I try not to make stylistic suggestions, but I don't think that the 808 kick suits the style of this mix.

Agreed. It's too loose and undefined for the rest of the piece, and there's no variation in the percussion throughout- sounds like a boring ol' drumloop. Overall, I really dig the laid-back groove, but the mix feels a little underdeveloped. There's hardly any ending! Your instrument choices are decent in general... I just wanna hear more, y'know? Everything seems mixed too apologetically. Don't be afraid to make each individual element shine in its own right, through techniques such as EQ and panning. You're off to a good start.

NO RESUBMIT

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=37 - "Death Egg Zone"

Interesting opening. Beats and bass coming in at :16 were meant to fill things out substantially, but didn't. Vox in at :32 was too robotic with the note-to-note movement, though not terrible. So far, the texture is too sparse, and the sounds don't have enough power to 'em. The woodwind at 1:05 was a nice change in dynamics. The phrasing on it from 1:18-1:21 was definitely awkward.

By the halfway point, the beatwork was too static and repetitive, holding the energy down; vary the patterns/writing up. Dynamically the track seemed stunted again, until the bellwork at 2:10 picked up the energy level greatly. I thought the ending, while underdeveloped, didn't seem sudden.

Good base so far, especially arrangement-wise. Malcos & pixietricks had good production and instrumentation criticisms you should keep in mind. Aside from their comments, if you're still willing to work on this one Louis, flesh out the textures, put more oomph into the instrumentation so that dynamic shifts like 1:05 and 2:10 are more effective, and vary up the percussion/beat patterns more. I don't believe you're in a position to get this passed with a resub at your current experience level, but you have the potential to learn a lot by taking another look at this one and tinkering around with it.

NO