*NO* EarthBound 'Dreaming of Home (A Lullaby)'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: ManInGrey

Game: Earthbound

Platform: SNES

Song Remixed: Ness's House

Comments:

I arranged this remix as a tribute to my cat, who died a couple years ago. One week she was fine, then all of a sudden she developed a tumor in her heart that filled her chest up with fluid. The fluid collapsed one lung and there was minimum chance of saving her...so we had her put to sleep. The beginning of the song represents her mental state as the chemicals induced her death. Throughout the piece makes me reflect on all the good times we had, and how much I loved her. The end of the piece expresses the sorrow that I felt from her loss, but also how grateful I am for the time spent with her. I don't know where she is now, but whereever she is...I know she dreaming of coming back home.

----------------------------------------------------------

Your encoding's way too high at 260kbps. Remember not to go above the 192kbps bitrate ceiling we have.

I hate to sound like a hater, because it's your song premise and all, but I dunno how am I supposed to get into the mindset of your cat dying while hearing EarfBound.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mo2 - "Home Sweet Home" (mo2-019.spc)

Sequenced plucked strings at :19 are pretty rigid, but have some decent harmonies with the piano and harp. Pretty straightforward arrangement of the source at :45. Beats showed up from 1:20-1:37.

Rinse and repeat of :45's section at 1:37, with an even more active variation of the beats from 2:13-2:39. Bowed strings from 1:53-2:10 under the arranged melody sounded really bad. The strings themselves sounded stapled on top (and also like they were melting), then from 2:05-2:09 the volume on 'em became needlessly loud, crowding up the soundfield. Total throwaway part.

2:29 extended the end of the chorus with some new countermelodic writing, followed by a low bowed string at 2:45 and some new mallet percussion stuff at 2:47 closing the piece out. The music fades out, leaving only rain SFX that abruptly cuts out at 3:08. You'd wanna fix that with a proper fadeout.

Well, keeping in mind that you're going for a lullaby-style arrangement, this still needs more development and interpretation of the source material, IMO. More variation would help, but in the event that you don't want to vary the melodic material and/or dynamic level dramatically, varying the supporting writing from verse to verse could help compensate.

Whatever level you'd wanna approach it, this needs more interpretive substance. There a couple other aforementioned weak spots here that could use addressing, but further development of the arrangement is the primary issue for me.

NO

• 2 months later...

low-heavy, lacks spectrum color due to a flat high end. aside from that, the sequencing, composition, and instrumentation are all sub-par, and while the track aint bad for a first attempt, you really need to apply some more polish and practice adding some more musicality to your writing.

NO

Yeah, I feel the emotion, but it's overall kinda bland. It can be touching and still produced properly. Can't rely on emotion alone.

I think you'll probably come back to this one in a few year with more experience under your belt, and you'll do your cat proud with a touching eulogy remix. But for now this needs more work, as both Vig and Larry have pointed out.

NO