*NO* Chrono Trigger 'World Domination'

Liontamer

Name: Joey Troup (joeytroup@gmail.com)

Submission: "World Domination"

Game: Chrono Trigger

Taken from: "World Revolution" (Lavos battle)

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy it.

Sincerely,

Joey Troup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "World Revolution" (ct-3-13.spc) & "Chrono Trigger (part 1)" (ct-1-02a.spc)

Closest analog to this one is LuIzA's "Fire Cross" (which uses CT's "World Revolution" for a small piece). That's not saying that she sets the bar, but this mix is most similar to her in style. When you compare the two side by side, it underscores a lot of the issues with this arrangement.

There's some interpretative portions in terms of changing up the melodies, but the arrangement is too straightforward overall. Beyond 1:48, it also ended up feeling repetitive once you started replaying sections near-wholesale until around 2:58, so to me things were underdeveloped.

On the production side, the lead guitar could be played tighter and also has 0 meat on it, the performance on it has some personal flair but needs more, and, as your lead, it doesn't even cut through the rest of the instrumentation to take the foreground. There's little meaningful rhythm or harmonization writing (it's buried) and the backing parts are too simple. All you really hear are those drums, which are louder than everything else, and that's basically it. They definitely don't compensate for the lack of any other prominent parts. You gotta provide more balance and substance than that.

NO

• 1 month later...

Drums are awful. They're flat and thin. Samey right the way through. The kick is tinny, it's just an awful set. You might have them programmed well, but the set just sounds awful.

The guitar is far enough out of tune at times that it sounds badly sloppy. As Larry said, tighten it up a bit.

Good ideas. Just work on it a better more. Find yourself a real drummer if you can't find a decent set.

NO

I agree with Larry and TO's comments. The guitar playing could be tighter, the mixing needs work, the drums could be better, and I would also add that the overall volume is WAY too quiet for the style. This needs to be much hotter. Check the ReMixing forum for mastering help. Arrangement isn't terrible; this isn't a cover. It's getting there and I like the things you did to personalize it. Less repetition later on would be good. Try doing more stuff over the original chord progression, adding new chords, and perhaps add more harmony parts too.

NO